Antenatal Acupuncture

Hi there,

I'm 17 weeks pregnant and in this pregnancy and my last one, have suffered from some of those common discomforts associated with pregnancy:

• Nausea and vomiting (often called "morning sickness")

• Indigestion and digestive disorders

• Constipation, haemorrhoids

• Tiredness, lethargy, fatigue

• Aches and pains

• High or low blood pressure

• Anaemia

• Dizziness and fainting

• Tinnitus

• Headaches and migraines

• Carpal tunnel syndrome

• Back pain and sciatica

• SPD - symphysis pubis dysfunction

• Mood swings, depression

• Poor appetite, food aversions and cravings, bitter taste

• Thirst

• Rashes, itching

• Restless legs

• Night sweats

• Varicose veins

I just want to let all you mums to be out there that you don't need to suffer in silence and tell you about the benefits of acupuncture. Acupuncture in pregnancy is a very safe and effective way to help bring relief from many of those discomforts.

During the first trimester, women may find acupuncture particularly helpful if they are experiencing any nausea or vomiting, (often at its most intense between 8-12 weeks). For women with a history of miscarriage, acupuncture treatments during the first 12 weeks help the foetus firmly implant in the uterine wall and maintain a good uterine lining.

It is recommended that treatments are particularly effective at 12, 24 and 36 weeks, as these are important transition times in the course of the pregnancy. Having acupuncture at these key transition times can greatly enhance the health of both mother and baby. The treatments are understood to have a beneficial effect on the development of the foetus, and help strengthen the mother and build her energy to support healthier growth and development in the following trimester.

I'm lucky in that my partner is an acupuncturist, which has meant that I have been able to tap into this when I most needed it.

If you are interested in finding out more I would highly recommend acupuncturist Simon Brooks (he has 18 years experience as an acupuncturist and is very good- OK I'm biased(!) but from his reviews I know other patients feel the same) who would be happy to have a free confidential chat on 0114 3273240. Please check out his website http://www.devonshireacupuncture.co.uk for more details.