How to make Sheffield a decent place to live for future generations?

What a strange response...

Because I am not, nor ever have been involved in manufacturing or the service industries. Nor will I ever be, and therefore unfamiliar with the genre.

Nor do I wield the power to create 'enterprise zones,' reduced business rates, or anything else that would help investment in this area.

However, I do not understand why we have to import nurses and NHS personnel from abroad when we have plenty of young people here who would be happy to train. Same applies to other jobs.

Also, if I was, for example, a certain British Designer of handbags, selling them for upwards of £1,000 each, I would at least employ British craftsmen and workers, rather than have them made in some foreign sweatshop.

It's always someone else who needs to fix it!

When Manchester regenerated, the "man on the street" didn't fix it.

Government development grant of some kind (pretty please????)

The city centre development is estimated to cost £500 million, I can't see the government stumping that up. So we're going to have to wait for the private industry to sort it out.

I may be a relative newcomer to Sheffield but in my mind there is now more building in the city centre than at any time during my time here,

Half those building sites have been there for nearly a decade.

The moor regeneration should have been finished years ago, IIRC 2000-2001(ish) was when it should have started moving, the council messed around so much that it got caught up in the 2008 financial crash and stagnated.

Now they've spent the last 2 years going on holiday to the south of France to 'find a developer' (no joke)

If the council can't get the major city centre retail areas sorted out then few businesses are going to be interested in moving into a dead city centre are they??

Half those building sites have been there for nearly a decade.

The moor regeneration should have been finished years ago, IIRC 2000-2001(ish) was when it should have started moving, the council messed around so much that it got caught up in the 2008 financial crash and stagnated.

Now they've spent the last 2 years going on holiday to the south of France to 'find a developer' (no joke)

If the council can't get the major city centre retail areas sorted out then few businesses are going to be interested in moving into a dead city centre are they??

Are you referring to the old Sevenstone development, or the Moor?

Yes, we have a new developer for the scheme now??

I've seen some 'artists impressions' but not heard anything concrete as to who will actually do the project.

It's almost exactly 2 years ago now that Hammerson were officially given the boot, although it had been obvious since 2008-2009 that they were quite clearly not going to complete the project.

It's always someone else who needs to fix it!

Yeah - and they get paid very well to do it...

Do they? Who is being paid well to fix the problems that chem1st identifies (if they are real problems), specifically for Sheffield... And with who's money are they supposed to fix them?

I'm not so sure it lacks decent or affordable housing to be honest.

I've lived in a fair few places, they've all been decent and affordable to me??

As others have already noted, the key to regeneration and local growth is jobs. So the question arises, how to create thousands of well paid jobs in and around Sheffield? Having setup and run my own business since 1994 and employing various people along the way, I can say from experience that nothing beats growing your own business.

So how do we turn thousands of Sheffielders into dynamic entrepreneurs assuming that no large established businesses will re-locate here? As the saying goes "Necessity is the mother of invention". Too many people live viable lives entirely on benefits and I don't think that helps anyone but primarily, them. Sure some people need all the help they can get and I don't begrudge them assistance, but others, if nudged, could become highly creative and productive.

Sheffield has a lot going for it. The city has history and is located adjacent to the second most visited attraction on the planet (Peak National Park). We have a world leading red brick university and an excellent (when working) tram network plus the world snooker championship and all the free publicity that generates.

We could do with a forward thinking council that plans things long term rather than building on whims and dreams (all on borrowed money) before flattening them shortly after. Having a central shopping spine from the Wicker to the Moor with no tram service was a colossal mistake.

To be positive though, we have many opportunities here. The river Don could be developed to generate lots of energy. We have a fantastic opportunity at Blackburn Meadows to get the university involved in converting waste (liquid and solid) into gas, heat, power and compost with existing rail, grid infrastructure and canal access. Bio-fermentation and plasma furnace technologies could be integrated. What a unique opportunity to develop world beating clean waste disposal technology on a single site!

What we need is vision, leadership and a will to succeed. With a few changes, Sheffield could be a powerhouse of ideas and new technology.

Edited by Afilsdesigne

Diseases associated with extreme poverty?

I'm still suffering with that millennium virus.

You kind of answered your own question regarding housing, according to yourself the people are leaving Sheffield for work, yet we are increasing immigration, so houses remain the same price or even increase !