Shoream b b old days

hi anybody remember the matches at the lane in 70s and thier tales from this era

hi anybody remember the matches at the lane in 70s and thier tales from this era

I don't know about 'tales' but recall a game 71-72 versus Arsenal, the then current champions and double winners, (yellow shirts, blue shorts that day) and proceeded to show the newly promoted Blades what the (old) First Division was all about. Tony Currie, Alan Woodward, Len Badger etc were there, but the Gunners, Charlie George, Alan Ball and them went on to give them a 'five- nowt' thumping, with center-half Peter Simpson, who only scored about two goals in all his time at Highbury, managed to hit (I think the fifth) from about twenty yards.

I don't know about 'tales' but recall a game 71-72 versus Arsenal, the then current champions and double winners, (yellow shirts, blue shorts that day) and proceeded to show the newly promoted Blades what the (old) First Division was all about. Tony Currie, Alan Woodward, Len Badger etc were there, but the Gunners, Charlie George, Alan Ball and them went on to give them a 'five- nowt' thumping, with center-half Peter Simpson, who only scored about two goals in all his time at Highbury, managed to hit (I think the fifth) from about twenty yards.

And how did the Blades respond to this the following season?

United beat Arsenal 1-0 at home the following season (72-73)

The 'revenge' match was a Tuesday night game in September 1973 which finished 5-0 to United.

Tony Currie sat on the ball at one point, taunting the Arsenal players.

The Blades were devastating and 4-0 up after about 17 minutes if I remember.

The best football I have ever seen United play.

Amazingly there were no cameras present to witness a brilliant display.

Edited by BladeSteve

A Tuesday night game in September 1973 finished 5-0 to United.

Tony Currie sat on the ball at one point, taunting the Arsenal players.

The Blades were devastating and 4-0 up after about 17 minutes if I remember.

The best football I have ever seen United play.

Amazingly there were no cameras present to witness a brilliant display.

Brilliant reply. I was hoping stpetre would do the honours and post a similar reply.