Party wall act 1996

Hello, does anyone know the ins and outs of the party wall act 1996, my neighbour mentioned it to me yesterday, so we need to know what we can do or cant without their consent. We want to drill a membrane damp proof to the joining wall as we have a cellar under our front room, what about a chimney breast do we need consent to have the membrane fastened to this as its in our space not theirs.

Any advise would be good, i have look on line but some things are not clear enough for our needs, cheers.

if your just doing the membrane and chimney I don't think you will have a problem. its when you come to take out chimneys walls/alter the structurethats when it can become a bit tricky but again it wouldn't necessary stop you from doing alterations with the proper regulations in place

What are you doing converting the cellar to a proper room and plastering it out

If you don't advise your neighbours it can end up costing you a lot of money.

Solicitors are writing to neighbours of people who have had work done and asking if they were informed. If the answer is no they can take up the case if they are directed to with the person who failed to serve the act picking up all the costs. Iv seen it happen plus they can stop the work being done for a period of time.

Serve the notice.

Thanks for the replies guys, all we intent to do is fasten a 3mm membrane around the whole room, at 250mm centres for the fixings, then with dot and dab, and timber frames and plaster boards thats it, but in the 1996 act it only mentions injecting a damp proof .

The renewing of plaster is classed as minor works, which needed knocking off anyway as it had damp in places, but how is this done without making noise and between the hour of 10:00 am and 3:00pm.

Any change of use of a room must be notified to council planning. Do it properly get it inspected and they will tall you whats required. I only is a lame excuse do you want to be looking over you shoulder all the time .