Info regarding the "claymore"

What happened to Frank and Dorothy who managed the claymore for many years. It was a great place then with great staff. any one know if there are still around.

I think Frank Keys passed away a few years ago. One place they had after 'The Claymore' was 'The Wicker Brewery' ('The Hole in the Wall), on the Saville Street side of the Wicker arches.

The very same,quite a character.

I think her last tenancy was The Hole in the Wall on Savile Street.

---------- Post added 11-10-2016 at 13:31 ----------

I think Frank Keys passed away a few years ago. One place they had after 'The Claymore' was 'The Wicker Brewery' ('The Hole in the Wall), on the Saville Street side of the Wicker arches.

Beat me to it. :)

add

neither do i remember a bar downstairs at the claymore it was not a very good pub at the best of times. heaven knows why it was called the claymore what as sheffield got to do with scotland. wonder if rab c nessbit was a local there

'The Claymore' (Arundel Gate) was owned by Scottish and Newcastle Breweries, perhaps that's where the Caledonian connection is ?

---------- Post added 11-10-2016 at 19:55 ----------

I seem to remember that there was two bars but one was at street level and the other was upstairs. Does this make sense? I was probably very drunk at the time.

Yes there were two bars, one at street level that had two entrances. One entry was to the right (at the Odeon cinema side), the other was at the extreme left that had two separate entrances, one to the street level bar the other to the upstairs bar.

---------- Post added 11-10-2016 at 19:59 ----------

There was an upstairs bar, used to be available for private hire, I remember the stairs at the right hand side but I think they went to the downstairs toilets in the 70's.

Yes scottcross, and those stairs only led to the toilets , the upstairs bar had their own.

---------- Post added 11-10-2016 at 20:05 ----------

the cannon

marples now (closed down)

geisha bar/legends/crazy daisy

hind(now called summat else

The 'Buccaneer' (closed summer 1973) part of the old Grand Hotel , was downstairs.

---------- Post added 11-10-2016 at 20:13 ----------

i dont ever remember the claymore ever having a downstairs bar either,maybe hes confusing it with the mulberry tavern

Yes, the 'Claymore' had a street level bar and upstairs bar, downstairs were the toilets.

Edited by stpetre
add

The last pub Dorothy had that I know of was the Bath off just Middlewood Road around 1980

1 hour ago, Shreddie said:

The last pub Dorothy had that I know of was the Bath off just Middlewood Road around 1980

Where exactly was the Bath ?

15 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Where exactly was the Bath ?

Only one I can remember that end of town was juction of Burgoyne Road  &  Whitehouse Road in Walkley - typical Stones street corner boozer.

You may be right Longcol. I don't remember exactly as I only ever went once. Knew Dorothy and Frank from Claymore and Red Lion. Saw Dorothy in the town centre one Saturday afternoon and she invited me to the opening night at the Bath. I think she may have said Burgoyne Rd.  Anyway in true Dorothy style, I was greeted with the accusation that I'd only come hoping for free beer; interspersed with expletives of course!