Info regarding the "claymore"

I remember the Claymore in the mid late sixties being run by the Keys - Dorothy & Richard (I think) they had a stunning daughter - long auburn hair - whose boyfriend/husband drove a flash sports car - at least it was in those days. A bar at street level and one upstairs with accommodation for the Keys above that in an apartment. The clientelle were in the main more mature sensible customers, the premier beer being Tartan at 2/3 or 2/6 a pint.

I remember seeing my old maths teacher Mr. Burgin (see Colley school) one night in there and calling him sir, he replied "you left school years ago call me Tony"

I think that after leaving the Claymore the Keys ran a pub somewhere at the back of the City Hall for a while.

Occasional lock ins for the staff at the w/e, all the doors were locked, and after about an hour a knock on the doors meant the local beat plod were checking "to see if all was well" after a quick tipple they were satisfied and went on there way.

Apologies for a SENIOR moment I appear to have "doubled up"

I seem to remember that there was two bars but one was at street level and the other was upstairs. Does this make sense? I was probably very drunk at the time.

------------------

Hi blue, When me and mate finish work at 6.00.pm we use to call

in the Elephant in the sq and call onto the Claymore, both good beers

but to your question on two bars, i remember only one on ground level -

downstairs was the toilets i think, then i'd had a few pints. :hihi::hihi:

------------------

Hi blue, When me and mate finish work at 6.00.pm we use to call

in the Elephant in the sq and call onto the Claymore, both good beers

but to your question on two bars, i remember only one on ground level -

downstairs was the toilets i think, then i'd had a few pints. :hihi::hihi:

There was a first floor bar. The stairs to it were accessed by an outside door to the left of the pub and the downstair to the toilets was on the right hand side of the ground floor bar. We used to kick off our Saturday night in the ground floor room perched around the jukebox to the left of the bar.

My mates and I used the Claymore as our starting off point in town when it first opened in the 70s after our favourite watering hole the Adelphi was demolished to make way for the Crucible.It was handy for us being central near the night clubs Fiesta and Baileys Bank St,also I could catch a bus outside the Mucky Duck at 1-00 am if we had an early night if not it was only 10 bob for a taxi to my abode on Middlewood Rd.Those were the days I couldn,t do it now I must have had the constitution of an ox with a brain to match,happy days good memories of my youth it seems only yesterday,oh well!

What happened to Frank and Dorothy who managed the claymore for many years. It was a great place then with great staff. any one know if there are still around.

Hi not sure I'm posting in the right place but does anyone know

What year the claymore changed names

I'm trying to find out what it was called

In 1995/6 can't seem to find anything on Google re dates just names but none of them ring a bell to me

Thanks

Hi not sure I'm posting in the right place but does anyone know

What year the claymore changed names

I'm trying to find out what it was called

In 1995/6 can't seem to find anything on Google re dates just names but none of them ring a bell to me

Thanks

Did the 'Claymore' ever have a name change ? I thought the building and those nearby were closed and demolished to make way for ??

According to the Internet it's been called ale tasters venue viva salsa then bar 101

Anyone remember landlady Dorothy Keys from back in the day.

Anyone remember landlady Dorothy Keys from back in the day.
is that the same Dorothy that kept the Red Lion Holly Street.

If so then some great stories are due.