Info regarding the "claymore"

Originally posted by blue11265

Can anyone remember this pub. It was near to the site of the Hoggs Head on Pinstone Street. It didn't have an upstairs but i think that the toilets were outside.

Full of hippy types smokin roll ups. What a great pub. I cant rememeber when it closed, must have been around 1985 ish.

The museum was not just "near" the hogshead... it WAS the hogshead, it was just extended a bit at the back, when orchard square was developed.

I remember how "primitive it seemed, with the outside lavs..

And it was on Orchard Lane, IIRC, not Pinstone St (it was not far enough along the block to have fronted onto Pinstone Street.

me and my cousiin who were only 3 months apart in age used to go supping in there, as teenaged lasses! (oh, the shame!)

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

the other pubs with downstairs bars, in the city centre that I can think of are

the Wap (the Wapentake)

Used to love the Wapentake in the late 70's until as I was blown out there by some girl who said I wasn't 'husband material'. Totally mind blowing when you're 18 and only thinking of a bit of no-strings horizontal jogging! Anybody remember me, I was the guy with long brown hair and a liking for head-banging!! Yeah, right - me and everybody else.

Originally posted by blue11265

Can anyone remember this pub. It was near to the site of the Hoggs Head on Pinstone Street. It didn't have an upstairs but i think that the toilets were outside.

Full of hippy types smokin roll ups. What a great pub. I cant rememeber when it closed, must have been around 1985 ish.

Wasn't it called the 3 Tuns? or something like that.

Opposite the fountain bar.

Originally posted by Geezer

Wasn't it called the 3 Tuns? or something like that.

Opposite the fountain bar.

yep..........thats the one...proper dump

The 3 tuns used to be on leopold st and yes it was a bit of a dive but did a cracking pint of guinness, i used to be a chef round the corner on fargate at Davy's restaurants where w h smith is now it used to have a shop at street level which roasted coffee and it could be smelt all round town.

Then a few years later i went to work for marsdens on arundal gate next to the claymore and spent many a happy day upstairs drinking.

We used to meet in the old museum pub before going to play football on a saturday afternoon it was a brill atmosphere in there.

Where did all the good pubs go ?.

Memories of the Claymore pub., I used to know a previous landlady called Dorothy Keys, a flambuoyant auburn haired gal , good company to be with, think she would have been the landlady early 1970's She and husband retired to Wadsley Bridge area where I last visited them about 1975

Anyone remember Dorothy Keys?

Gary Marshman North Wales

I can remember that they used to pipe the haggis in on Burns night and they gave everybody some. Happy days:)

You went into the bar at street level and there was a smaller bar upstairs.

Edited by SILLY

neither do i remember a bar downstairs at the claymore it was not a very good pub at the best of times. heaven knows why it was called the claymore what as sheffield got to do with scotland. wonder if rab c nessbit was a local there

neither do i remember a bar downstairs at the claymore it was not a very good pub at the best of times. heaven knows why it was called the claymore what as sheffield got to do with scotland. wonder if rab c nessbit was a local there

Crikey! I'd forgotten about this thread, it's been buried for so long!

The Claymore/ Scottish link is probably to do with the Mary Queen of Scots history of our fair city.

She was imprisoned here at Sheffield castle for 14 years, with George Talbot, husband of Bess of Hardwick as her gaoler. she was in Sheffield and its locality from about 1569/70 to the mid 1580s (she was occasionally kept at Tutbury, and Chatsworth, which were other grand houses and castles owned by Talbot and his family)

I used go in the early 70's when they served Youngers Scotch bitter and tartan which was very fizzy, I went for Burns night one year and the haggis was piped in and served with neaps (turnip) and tatties (potatoes) nice but not very good with 6 pints of tartan !:gag:

many moons ago the boozer i run was known as the claymore,infact its one of the first boozers i used to go in..around 1979 (last stop before steeley's/roxy's) well i was speaking with one of the regulars last night and he swears blind the place used to have a down stairs bar,where the cellar is now,as there are 2 cellars (ones very small and no longer used) this could be true but i'm sure he's wrong...........can anyone shed any light on this?

Back in the mid late sixties The Claymore was run by the Keys - Dorothy & Richard (I think that was his first name), they had a stunning daughter with long auburn hair whose boyfriend/husband had a flash sports car - at least it was in those days. Tartan bitter was the premier beer (scottish version of draft Double Diamond) at 2/3 or 2/6 a pint. It had a bar at street level and one upstairs. The Keys lived on the top floor in secure apartment.

The customers were mainly the more mature responsible type and it was generally the place to be in those days. The cellars were downstairs but no bar accessable from the small road at the side of the Odeon.