Info regarding the "claymore"

many moons ago the boozer i run was known as the claymore,infact its one of the first boozers i used to go in..around 1979 (last stop before steeley's/roxy's) well i was speaking with one of the regulars last night and he swears blind the place used to have a down stairs bar,where the cellar is now,as there are 2 cellars (ones very small and no longer used) this could be true but i'm sure he's wrong...........can anyone shed any light on this?

i dont ever remember the claymore ever having a downstairs bar either,maybe hes confusing it with the mulberry tavern

Where was the claymore? I remeber the name and have been in but can not think of where it was.

Was it near Bumbles wine bar?

Originally posted by mikey

Where was the claymore? I remeber the name and have been in but can not think of where it was.

Was it near Bumbles wine bar?

bang next door........bumbles still has the same name,the claymore is now BAR 101,its also been called the venue,the ale tasters,viva salsa,and the viva cafe bar.

I seem to remember that there was two bars but one was at street level and the other was upstairs. Does this make sense? I was probably very drunk at the time.

There was an upstairs bar, used to be available for private hire, I remember the stairs at the right hand side but I think they went to the downstairs toilets in the 70's.

In the seventies there were two bars at the Claymore, one at street level and one upstairs at first floor level. Stairs were to the left of ground floor bar.

No idea when this closed.

No idea when this closed.

it hasn't

the other pubs with downstairs bars, in the city centre that I can think of are

the Wap (the Wapentake)

the Nelson (corner of fitzwilliam gate and union street, near old allied carpets store)

and the fountain bar on leopold street (also called the pig-and-whistle)

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

the Wap (the Wapentake)

the Nelson (corner of fitzwilliam gate and union street, near old allied carpets store)

PT

the cannon

marples now (closed down)

geisha bar/legends/crazy daisy

hind(now called summat else

Originally posted by kirky Originally posted by Plain Talker

the Wap (the Wapentake)

PT

the cannon

marples now (closed down)

geisha bar/legends/crazy daisy

hind(now called summat else

the Hind was what became the nelson, I believe, (and was owned for a time by that guy who was "famous" for having had a shedload of plastic surgery.)

I have only ever been in the street level of the cannon, and didn't realise there was a "downstairs" to it. wow!

forgot about the Craizy Daizy, as I was thinking Pubs, (not "nightclub-y places)

the marples, yes, that had an upstairs bar and the downstairs one. The upstairs bar is now a motorcycle clothing shop, and the downstairs has, for the longest time, been a Bookies.

Can anyone remember this pub. It was near to the site of the Hoggs Head on Pinstone Street. It didn't have an upstairs but i think that the toilets were outside.

Full of hippy types smokin roll ups. What a great pub. I cant rememeber when it closed, must have been around 1985 ish.