A "Crisp Sandwich Shop" in Sheffield city centre -

Someone has just opened one in Keighley - great, I genuinely wish them the best of luck in their venture and admire them for their bravery. The crisp sandwich is a big part of Sheffield culture. Would you use a similar outlet if opened here, would it be a success?

Such a shop might have a little honeymoon period what with it being a novel idea but I don't think it would have any long term success.

This is based on my own tastes and the tastes of family and friends really. If I was peckish and looking for lunch I would hunt out a nice traditional sandwich shop or a roast pork sarnie or a deli or even a chippie. The thought of a crisp sandwich definitely doesn't inspire me.

It's a fad in my opinion. Just like all the cupcake shops that sprang up. People may try it once and then not bother again. I mean really, if you want a crisp sandwich you would make it at home surely? It's like fish finger butties popping up on pub and cafe menus.....

Such a shop might have a little honeymoon period what with it being a novel idea but I don't think it would have any long term success.

This is based on my own tastes and the tastes of family and friends really. If I was peckish and looking for lunch I would hunt out a nice traditional sandwich shop or a roast pork sarnie or a deli or even a chippie. The thought of a crisp sandwich definitely doesn't inspire me.

A "deli"! - what part of Sheffield are you pretending to be from?

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 20:55 ----------

It's a fad in my opinion. Just like all the cupcake shops that sprang up. People may try it once and then not bother again. I mean really, if you want a crisp sandwich you would make it at home surely? It's like fish finger butties popping up on pub and cafe menus.....

lol ;) ...........

At "The Great Yorkshire Show" we decided to grab something to eat so headed over to the food area to see what was on offer. We noticed one of the vendors appeared chocka so we headed over to see what all the buzz was about.

Anyone it was a Yorkshire Pudding place, basically you got a big yorkie and chose your filling from about 30 choices of both savoury and dessert options. Whoever thought this idea out was laughing as they must have taken a pretty penny over a couple of days. Everyone loves a yorkie right? And the choice of fillings made it highly likely that there was a filling to suit everyone.

Would suit a place survive on the high street? Probably not. I mean I enjoyed the novel idea but I wouldn't fancy a Yorkshire pudding every single day. I like variety. Crisps offer a different flavour maybe dependant on what you have but never the less the same quantity and texture and stuff. I would be boring after a couple of visits.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 20:58 ----------

A "deli"! - what part of Sheffield are you pretending to be from?

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 20:55 ----------

lol ;) ...........

I love a good deli mate. I'm Yorkshire born and bred but love Med cuisine for some unknown reason. Love my Meats, Breads, Cheeses, Olives, Couscous and all of it.

Edited by green_man

At "The Great Yorkshire Show" we decided to grab something to eat so headed over to the food area to see what was on offer. We noticed one of the vendors appeared chocka so we headed over to see what all the buzz was about.

Anyone it was a Yorkshire Pudding place, basically you got a big yorkie and chose your filling from about 30 choices of both savoury and dessert options. Whoever thought this idea out was laughing as they must have taken a pretty penny over a couple of days. Everyone loves a yorkie right? And the choice of fillings made it highly likely that there was a filling to suit everyone.

Would suit a place survive on the high street? Probably not. I mean I enjoyed the novel idea but I wouldn't fancy a Yorkshire pudding every single day. I like variety. Crisps offer a different flavour maybe dependant on what you have but never the less the same quantity and texture and stuff. I would be boring after a couple of visits.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 20:58 ----------

I love a good deli mate. I'm Yorkshire born and bred but love Med cuisine for some unknown reason. Love my Meats, Breads, Cheeses, Olives, Couscous and all of it.

Perhaps the reason is that you want to be something that you are not, being from Yorkshire isn't the image that you want to portray? - who knows, I'm no shrink.

Anyway, a good crisp sandwich has always been a firm favourite of Sheffielders - give one a try green man, I guarantee you will enjoy! :)

Why such a specific shop? Why not just a sandwich shop that sells crisp sandwiches among other fillings?

Someone has just opened one in Keighley - great, I genuinely wish them the best of luck in their venture and admire them for their bravery. The crisp sandwich is a big part of Sheffield culture. Would you use a similar outlet if opened here, would it be a success?

I doubt I'd use it.

I did have a crisp sandwich last weekend, nothing else handy and I was hungry. But it might have been a year since the one before that, and it wouldn't be my first choice if I was in the city centre looking for some food.

Why such a specific shop? Why not just a sandwich shop that sells crisp sandwiches among other fillings?

Same reason there's a shop in London that sells imported American breakfast cereal at a premium, hipsters will buy anything if it's "different" enough.

I've never seen a hipster in Sheffield.

Same reason there's a shop in London that sells imported American breakfast cereal at a premium, hipsters will buy anything if it's "different" enough.

Re my bold.

You need to get out more.

Perhaps the reason is that you want to be something that you are not, being from Yorkshire isn't the image that you want to portray? - who knows, I'm no shrink.

Anyway, a good crisp sandwich has always been a firm favourite of Sheffielders - give one a try green man, I guarantee you will enjoy! :)

I've been doing crisp sandwiches for years. In fact when I saw the Hendo's flavoured crisps in the shops for the first time I felt like I should have royalties from the sales as I have been doing that for years. A crisp sarnie with plain crisp and plenty of hendo's relish on top :hihi: That or a cheese and onion crisp sandwich. But it's a novel snack at the end of the day mate, not a meal as far as I am concerned.

Go and hang out around the American Crew barbers on Devonshire Street.