Leg cramp rip-off!

I was told by my Dr to take quinine for my occasional foot and leg cramps. He said he could prescribe me Quinine tablets but its cheaper just to drink tonic water.

Suit yourself. You want to spend £150 on some tablets instead of using a well recognised self massage tool that costs £20 and lasts forever, entirely up to you.

I don't intend to spend £150 quid on tablets or £30 for an oversized paint roller for that matter ... I'm not that gullible. I'll buy some quinine or whatever.

This thread's abut the sudden increase in price of Crampex tablets, and the possible reason(s) why. See post #1. :)

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 10:31 ----------

I was told by my Dr to take quinine for my occasional foot and leg cramps. He said he could prescribe me Quinine tablets but its cheaper just to drink tonic water.

Tonic water's like homeopathic quinine so, as such, won't work. :)

I don't intend to spend £150 quid on tablets or £30 for an oversized paint roller for that matter ... I'm not that gullible. I'll buy some quinine or whatever.

This thread's abut the sudden increase in price of Crampex tablets, and the possible reason(s) why. See post #1. :)

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 10:31 ----------

Tonic water's like homeopathic quinine so, as such, won't work. :)

Blinded me by science there mate

No, Having read articles such as this, I didn't think that wasting a GP's time would be prudent.

I don't have them all the time, normally I have bouts of them every few months or so ... the (non-prescription) Crampex tablets normally cope admirally with them. By the way ... although this isn't me,

is what cramps look like ... not very nice! :(

However, due to the mysterious lack of these tablets, a visit to the doctor's may be my next step.

This is the best course of action.

If you are getting night cramps on a regular basis - see your GP who will check the circulation in your legs and probably do a blood test to check your electrolytes, calcium levels etc.

Better safe than sorry :)

I'm afraid that cramp is more likely to increase with age, not decrease, so I'd be going down the GP route too. However, please don't go and ask for Crampex tablets because I've already found that they are on the NHS black list for prescribing in Scotland so they are probably on the black list for England too.

I hope that they come back into production and are widely available for you again shortly.

https://www.boots.com/wcsstore/cmsassets/Boots/Content/Products/Pain%20Tablets%20-%20CAT:%20A00000551/10033184.P/crampex.pdf

Definitely see your GP before you self medicate with these.

They are contraindicated for anyone with impaired kidney or liver function, high blood pressure, raised calcium levels, gastric ulcer, diabetes and gout. Very many may have any of the above without knowing and could cause more damage by taking Crampex.

See your GP first.

Edited by Daven

You should never buy tablets from off the internet, take heed of the young girl who died after buying and taking some kind of slimming pill.

You should never buy tablets from off the internet, take heed of the young girl who died after buying and taking some kind of slimming pill.

There's quite a difference between buying a pill that isn't approved for human consumption, and buying a branded product. You can order Paracetamol from the tesco's website. That's buying tablets over the internet, but I'm fairly sure it's safe.

There's quite a difference between buying a pill that isn't approved for human consumption, and buying a branded product. You can order Paracetamol from the tesco's website. That's buying tablets over the internet, but I'm fairly sure it's safe.

Totally agree.

Looking at the active ingredients of these tablets they seem to be a combination of calcium, vitamin D and a form of vitamin B.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/25262

You could take Vitamin supplements of all 3 and it may have the same effect for you (and be considerably cheaper)

Completely agree with this. The usual cause of cramping is a deficiency in certain salts or minerals and can also be a factor of dehydration. Find out the cause of yours and you'll find out a way to prevent it far cheaper.

Taking quinine can seriously affect other medications that you might be taking so please DON'T just take them check with your doctor first.

Taking quinine can seriously affect other medications that you might be taking so please DON'T just take them check with your doctor first.

Actually, despite the fact that I do no research (according to some), I have discovered the reason why Crampex is no longer on the shelves.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you as I've been asked to keep the information confidential.