Leg cramp rip-off!

Stretching and exercise seems to be recommended. Let us know how that works for you.

Has the cause of your leg cramps been investigated?

I get occasional cramps in my feet, I didnt reallise that there was a pill to stop them, I just put it down to poor circulation and cold weather.

I normally walk around for a bit, and all is ok, or use an electric blanket at night.

It can be caused by an in balance of the electrolytes in the blood. A simple blood test can be done to check this and treat with the correct medication.

Regards

Stretching and exercise seems to be recommended. Let us know how that works for you.

I do stretch and exercise quite a lot. I was wondering if that was a contributory factor to be honest. :huh:

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 09:12 ----------

It can be caused by an in balance of the electrolytes in the blood. A simple blood test can be done to check this and treat with the correct medication.

Regards

Actually, I had a letter from my doctor the other day saying that I was welcome to go and have a free blood test ... I may just go and do that. :)

It does say that exercise can also be a trigger... If you've run for example and get tight calves from that then I can imagine it turning into cramp. (I get tight calves from running sometimes, but fortunately not cramp).

Have you got one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Performance-Grid-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1438330344&sr=8-5&keywords=foam+roller

Very useful for relaxing leg muscles. You could combine it with the stretching.

It does say that exercise can also be a trigger... If you've run for example and get tight calves from that then I can imagine it turning into cramp. (I get tight calves from running sometimes, but fortunately not cramp).

Have you got one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Performance-Grid-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1438330344&sr=8-5&keywords=foam+roller

Very useful for relaxing leg muscles. You could combine it with the stretching.

No disrespect, but I think I'll take the medication route thank you. I'm not gonna spend good money on what is ostensibly a padded paint roller. :)

I used to get night cramps and always in my toes !

It usually coincided with me wearing heels for a length of time the day before.

Problem easily solved for me - wear flats and have been fine ever since.

p.s., - I am a girl before anyone starts taking the proverbial !:)

No disrespect, but I think I'll take the medication route thank you. I'm not gonna spend good money on what is ostensibly a padded paint roller. :)

I really wouldn't dismiss the padded paint roller option. We use them quite extensively in the fencing circuit. Both before and after bouts as they are useful for relaxing the muscles.

Plus, at less than £30 for a one off payment it does seem to make more sense economically.

Plus plus, to me, it is far preferable than a life relying on tablets.

I really wouldn't dismiss the padded paint roller option. We use them quite extensively in the fencing circuit. Both before and after bouts as they are useful for relaxing the muscles.

Plus, at less than £30 for a one off payment it does seem to make more sense economically.

I'd prefer leg cramps over magnolia anyday thank you very much.

Why on earth would spending thirty quid on a tarted up paint roller (without the handle, it would appear!) make economic sense over anything you can buy at B&Q for a small fraction of the cost (with handle, for difficult to reach parts!) :huh:

Anyway, this thread's not about paint rollers, more to do with the astronomical price hike of Crampex tablets. :)

Suit yourself. You want to spend £150 on some tablets instead of using a well recognised self massage tool that costs £20 and lasts forever, entirely up to you.

I'm surprised at this. So, for instance, I'm picturing a load of the Duke of Cumberland's and Charlie Stuart's swordsmen at the battle of Culloden in 1746, suddenly stop in mid maiming to attend to their calf muscles with a paint roller, due to a bit of jip. I can't really envisage this actually happening.

I'd prefer leg cramps over magnolia anyday thank you very much.

Why on earth would spending thirty quid on a tarted up paint roller (without the handle, it would appear!) make economic sense over anything you can buy at B&Q for a small fraction of the cost (with handle, for difficult to reach parts!) :huh:

Anyway, this thread's not about paint rollers, more to do with the astronomical price hike of Crampex tablets. :)

Why dismiss something when you clearly know nothing about it?

Some people you can't help for trying!

Just FYI, a paint roller is about 8cm in diameter, a foam roller is about 15 - 20 cm in diameter, they're made of entirely different materials and they're commonly recommended by physios and sports masseuse.

If you'd prefer to learn what it is and what it does before further dismissing it, here's some info.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/what-is-a-foam-roller-how-do-i-use-it-and-why-does-it-hurt