[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

I hope this fixes my recent issues as my tablet seems to have suddenly gotten insanely unreliable. :(

W10 may automatically download and install on W7 & w8/8.1 machines in 2016

Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings,

this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you

will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue. And of course, if you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then

you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don’t love it.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Automatically initiate the installer, not automatically install.

As the quote points out, you are still asked if you want to proceed or not.

Just been sent this by TechTarget which is part of Computer Weekly

Bloggers sound off on Windows 10 problems

There's an interesting paragraph titled "Privacy a top Windows 10 problem"

By default, Windows 10 communicates with Microsoft's servers, which includes sending private information. To make matters worse, changing settings won't help, Shaikh Rafia said in her WCCF Tech blog post. Windows 10 stores keyboard inputs in temporary files and transfers them through encrypted files every 30 minutes to three different servers. This means user passwords are not safe. And even if users don't log in to a Microsoft account, the OS still sends the data.

And the Windows 10 problems get worse. The OS sends data from the camera as well as voice data even if users turn off Cortana. Anything users type into the Start menu gets sent back to Microsoft. And don't even think about trying to use proxy servers to prevent the flow of information; Windows 10 sends requests to a content delivery network that can bypass them.

So Windows 10 is sending data from any attached camera or microphone as well as keystroke logs and according to the linked blog it sends OneDrive information even if the service is disabled, despite any attempts to turn this off with settings.

Quite glad I removed it now.

I was reasonably happy for the last couple of months with win 10. However on Saturday it did a major update to Win 10. And since then I am really struggling to get and stay on the net. I have been through the usual work around uninstalled network card checked the router etc etc. Cannot rollback as the last update has cleared all restore points and can't get on the net to resolve update issue. Currently using phone to try to find answers via any source possible. Even contemplating nipping pc's down to mozlan but can't seem to get hold of him via tel to arrange. Win 10 I feckin hate you.

Just been sent this by TechTarget which is part of Computer Weekly

Bloggers sound off on Windows 10 problems

There's an interesting paragraph titled "Privacy a top Windows 10 problem"

So Windows 10 is sending data from any attached camera or microphone as well as keystroke logs and according to the linked blog it sends OneDrive information even if the service is disabled, despite any attempts to turn this off with settings.

Quite glad I removed it now.

No I do not believe it is.

The keylogging, voice, etc is all about Cortana. Its the same that iOS and Android do for their respective services. Its highly unlikely its doing it when not required as it would be a huge battery and bandwidth hog.

If it was doing it while turned off then Microsoft would be in serious legal waters, as it specifically asks for your permission to do so.

I firmly believe people are just going bat-**** crazy about this stuff, as they are merely doing the same as their competition but getting way more abuse for it.

The only major problem with Windows 10 has been that some Windows Updates have been really rough. But then they even managed to mess up my mums Windows 7 machine with a bad update recently, so its not specific to Windows 10.

Edited by AlexAtkin

If you rely on the Windows firewall then you will have data sent to different Microsoft servers without you knowing, and the trouble is you just don't know what data is being sent.

I was very suspicious when I installed 10 as on the first boot it had disabled my Zone Alarm firewall. After getting another version and reinstalling it I found out why as when I looked at the logs it had now blocked many attempts by 10 to phone home.

Unfortunately Microsoft don't care about the legality of things, just look at how long they ignored the EU directives about IE and how they were prepared to pay the fines.

Sorry but I just don't trust them.

I was reasonably happy for the last couple of months with win 10. However on Saturday it did a major update to Win 10. And since then I am really struggling to get and stay on the net. I have been through the usual work around uninstalled network card checked the router etc etc. Cannot rollback as the last update has cleared all restore points and can't get on the net to resolve update issue. Currently using phone to try to find answers via any source possible. Even contemplating nipping pc's down to mozlan but can't seem to get hold of him via tel to arrange. Win 10 I feckin hate you.

Might be worth checking the settings in device manager for the network card. Under power management in the properties tab untick 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. If your machine goes to sleep or the computer isnt used for a long period of time the wifi card doesnt turn back on when it wakes and a reboot is required to get it working again.

Also regarding W10 dialing home, Just change the host files to stop it reporting back. All though under Chrome the browser can work around any host file changes that affect their own services such as Bing.

I use Spybot's Anti-Beacon to block W10 telemetry.

I use Spybot's Anti-Beacon to block W10 telemetry.

Thanks for that I didn't know one was available but because it is it just hi-lights the problems even more.

If you rely on the Windows firewall then you will have data sent to different Microsoft servers without you knowing, and the trouble is you just don't know what data is being sent.

I was very suspicious when I installed 10 as on the first boot it had disabled my Zone Alarm firewall. After getting another version and reinstalling it I found out why as when I looked at the logs it had now blocked many attempts by 10 to phone home.

Unfortunately Microsoft don't care about the legality of things, just look at how long they ignored the EU directives about IE and how they were prepared to pay the fines.

Sorry but I just don't trust them.

After reading your post i installed Zone Alarm firewall at 11.55 pm last night,

Looked at it this morning at about the same time 11.55 am it had blocked 49 outgoing bits of information,

Surely Surely this is illegal?

I also might ad that the pc was not used in between installation of Z A F and checking this morning.

You agreed to the eula when you installed im afraid so they can do what they want.