[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

You could just unpin all tiles from the Start Menu, it will then shrink down to the normal width of just the left column...

Sorry, yes, I neglected to mention I'd already removed all the tiles and reduced the width of the Start Menu to its minimum.

Unfortunately, I'm used to the old way of doing things in two clicks of the mouse, namely:

Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Word

which has been the standard Windows way of opening programs since, ooh, 1995, I think ;)

Whereas now, it's:

Start -> press the M key -> Microsoft Office -> Word

I don't want to have to use the mouse and the keyboard to open my apps.

Good 3 page article here on 'The Register':

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29/windows_10_sysadmin_says_average_joe_will_be_happy/

Oh, nearly forgot this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/

Edited by swarfendor43

He's listed the main three reasons I reverted to Windows 7 / 8.1:

1. You need Classic Shell to give you a usable Start Menu.
  2. Windows 10 reports back to Microsoft with everything that you do.
  3. To change settings, look in Control Panel. If it's not there, look in PC Settings instead.

Sorry, yes, I neglected to mention I'd already removed all the tiles and reduced the width of the Start Menu to its minimum.

Unfortunately, I'm used to the old way of doing things in two clicks of the mouse, namely:

which has been the standard Windows way of opening programs since, ooh, 1995, I think ;)

Whereas now, it's:

Start -> press the M key -> Microsoft Office -> Word

I don't want to have to use the mouse and the keyboard to open my apps.

Ah well you see I haven't done it that way in years.

If its something I use often then I pin it to the taskbar so its just a single click away.

If its something I use less often then, Start -> Type "Word" -> Click.

I'm using a 10" 768p screen so by no means have tons of space either.

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 report back to Microsoft too unless you are careful to avoid the update that enables it. You are also assuming it doesn't already do some of that stuff behind your back. I'm fairly sure 8 and 8.1 does, as the changes to the terms and conditions are related to your use of Microsoft cloud services. Avoid using their apps/services and they won't be snooping on your data. Of course, that doesn't mean Google, Mozilla, etc are not.

I agree they messed up Control Panel somewhat by moving some stuff into Settings but not everything, but its hardly something you need to do every day. Like any change, you just have to get used to it and the things they have moved into Settings are actually much easier to use than they ever were before.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Ah well you see I haven't done it that way in years.

If its something I use often then I pin it to the taskbar so its just a single click away.

If its something I use less often then, Start -> Type "Word" -> Click.

I'm using a 10" 768p screen so by no means have tons of space either.

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 report back to Microsoft too unless you are careful to avoid the update that enables it. You are also assuming it doesn't already do some of that stuff behind your back. I'm fairly sure 8 and 8.1 does, as the changes to the terms and conditions are related to your use of Microsoft cloud services. Avoid using their apps/services and they won't be snooping on your data. Of course, that doesn't mean Google, Mozilla, etc are not.

I agree they messed up Control Panel somewhat by moving some stuff into Settings but not everything, but its hardly something you need to do every day. Like any change, you just have to get used to it and the things they have moved into Settings are actually much easier to use than they ever were before.

But can someone please state what the actual advantages of upgrading are are as I can see very few.

But can someone please state what the actual advantages of upgrading are are as I can see very few.

We have said several times.

Its quicker, it has more integration with other Microsoft services (a blessing and a curse due to the privacy issues, but if that bothers you just don't use their services), it will be supported for longer with security fixes.

Some of the improvements are still to come, Microsoft are meant to be announcing something on the 6th October.

At the end of the day, many improvements in software is not obvious on the surface. Its only once you start using it and learn about what has changed and then go back to the old software, that you realise how much of the new functionality you were using.

For example dragging windows to the right so the snap to the right half of the screen. I never knew I needed that, but when Windows 8 implemented it I end up using it all the time. Now in Windows 10 it also shows thumbnails of the windows you can snap to the left when you do that, which is also useful as 99% of the time that is exactly what you wanted to do.

Everything is still in control panel that was there, there's just an alternative in PC Settings...

or, at least, for control panel items I have needed up to now....

It still is.:huh:

Start > All programs > Office > Word.

It still is.:huh:

Start > All programs > Office > Word.

The feedback I've had from some users is "it takes too long to scroll" I see it's added letters but I wouldn't say it takes much longer to flick the mouse wheel or touch scroll a bit further.

Another way I used when 8 came out is to create a toolbar for programs. Not so much needed in 10 as they are all there. There are a few ways to do this so here's one of them if you want to try on your own PC...

Control panel > File Explorer Options > View Tab > Left Click on Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives.

Next,

Right click on Taskbar, in the menu go up to Toolbars and select New Toolbar from the menu. When the file browser opens navigate to C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > highlight Programs > Left click on Select Folder.

That will give you a link to Programs down near the clock.

We have said several times.

Its quicker, it has more integration with other Microsoft services (a blessing and a curse due to the privacy issues, but if that bothers you just don't use their services), it will be supported for longer with security fixes.

Some of the improvements are still to come, Microsoft are meant to be announcing something on the 6th October.

At the end of the day, many improvements in software is not obvious on the surface. Its only once you start using it and learn about what has changed and then go back to the old software, that you realise how much of the new functionality you were using.

For example dragging windows to the right so the snap to the right half of the screen. I never knew I needed that, but when Windows 8 implemented it I end up using it all the time. Now in Windows 10 it also shows thumbnails of the windows you can snap to the left when you do that, which is also useful as 99% of the time that is exactly what you wanted to do.

Some of that is very subjective and the average PC user at home would not see any difference. I keep hearing the term superior but no one can explain in what way.

Is it quicker? Has anyone actually benchmarked it compared to win7? When I tried it it was actually slower to boot and programs weren't any quicker and that was with a modern SSD. I also cant see any statistics on-line comparing the features or the advantages of 7 to 10 either.

So far nothing has been said that make it much better than Win7. Going from 98 to XP was a big step, going from XP to 7 was a big step but from 7 to 10 seems minor. Maybe that's why this upgrade was free.

Everything is still in control panel that was there, there's just an alternative in PC Settings...

or, at least, for control panel items I have needed up to now....

I learnt this trick playing with 8.1 - just search for Control Panel then right-click and stick to Task Bar.

:D

I learnt this trick playing with 8.1 - just search for Control Panel then right-click and stick to Task Bar.

:D

Or just right click the start button, and click Control panel....