[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

well performed the install (clean) so not to mess up my other drive and windows won't allow you to activate the product - so it looks like even with the download media that you can use to install on multiple devices it won't work until you update each pc from its current operating system

I updated my tablet and gaming machine from ISO and both kept failing to activate.

I ended up using the command line activation which I had to do about 8 times on my gaming PC and about 20 on my tablet, before it would activate.

So if activation doesn't work, don't assume you did anything wrong. Its giving the "invalid key" error code incorrectly, presumably due to server load.

I must say my tablet seems to be running FAR more responsive, it feels like a fresh install even though it was an upgrade.

Haven't really tested my gaming machine much yet, but that did have a little trouble with the nVidia driver (I got a blank screen during install, had to just leave it and eventually it finished, then every time it wanted admin rights I got a blank screen again).

I had to get the Windows 10 driver installed before I could do anything else thanks to that.

Edited by AlexAtkin

When try activating it says key blocked. If i pull drive and try upgrade from my ssd it fails saying couldn't applied image. I have noticed it don't like setting my ssd's as active and is putting boot loader on my Seagate hybrid drive.

Just installed this on a test laptop. W7 to W10 using the mediatool posted above.

Worked first time and all data in tact. Few things I need to have a look around first but that was a promising start.

When you first install you can turn off all the info sharing by selecting the custom link when it prompts express or custom installation.

Now to work out how to remove candy crush and xbox live!

Just upgraded another machine, it was running a less than legit copy of 8. I purchased a new 8.1 pro key for £26, then installed 8.1, then manually upgraded to 10 (couldn't be bothered to wait for it to download itself), activation of 10 took a few attempts, but now I own a fully licensed Win10 Pro system for £26 :D .

If you had downloaded the first insider .iso and installed it separately it would have cost you nothing! :D

Hmmm can I upgrade my 32-bit Win7 pro to 64-bit Win10 pro now?

Before you all upgrade you might want to look at the privacy conditions that Microsoft have just updated.

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

If you want to sign your private life over to a US corporation with the morals of a skunk and no effective legal remedy feel free.

Nice find Obelix - I shall only be using 10 for gaming and nothing of importance.

So I may stop all browsing after posting this! :D

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 11:12 ----------

Hmmm can I upgrade my 32-bit Win7 pro to 64-bit Win10 pro now?

No you can't - just like other upgrade releases you can only update to the version you already have installed.

Still not got my download yet,I suppose I will be in a long queue.Still all the gremlins should be sorted by then,maybe.

Still not got my download yet,I suppose I will be in a long queue.Still all the gremlins should be sorted by then,maybe.

Just go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and select your version (providing you have had the prompt to say you're eligable), it then downloads and upgrades, very easy no usb sticks or anything.

Just upgraded another machine, it was running a less than legit copy of 8. I purchased a new 8.1 pro key for £26, then installed 8.1, then manually upgraded to 10 (couldn't be bothered to wait for it to download itself), activation of 10 took a few attempts, but now I own a fully licensed Win10 Pro system for £26 :D .

I have legit keys, but it won't activate with it reporting the key is blocked

When try activating it says key blocked. If i pull drive and try upgrade from my ssd it fails saying couldn't applied image. I have noticed it don't like setting my ssd's as active and is putting boot loader on my Seagate hybrid drive.

I guess it may depend on your partition scheme.

As I have dual-boot with Linux as priority, I don't even have a boot partition. Just the single Windows 7 partition that it upgraded to Windows 10 without touching the main boot sector at all.

GRUB was still working as before, only my Windows 7 entry now boots Windows 10.

I would imagine things might be different on an EFI system but for me, it went way smoother than I expected. The only real issue being the nVIDIA driver problem already noted which I think they fixed some time yesterday as after a couple of reboots things seemed to be working.

That said, I can't run The Sims 4 as it keeps saying its already running. So I should probably go through a few more games to see if anything else doesn't work.

I only tested Project Spark (been dying to try this on my gaming PC as my tablet is too slow and it runs pretty **** on Xbox One too) which crashed at first until I rebooted (the above nVIDIA fix I think) and Pinball Arcade (which worked fine).

I have legit keys, but it won't activate with it reporting the key is blocked

I kept getting an error code which implied the key was invalid, possibly same as key blocked? I just had to keep at it constantly from the command line and EVENTUALLY it went through. It probably took me 30 minutes to get the thing to activate.

Edited by AlexAtkin