[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

Looks like Microsoft have just announces some new updates for 10 to fix some vulnerabilities.

3086251 MS15-092: Vulnerabilities in the .NET Framework could allow elevation of privilege: August 11, 2015

3084525 MS15-091: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: August 11, 2015

3082458 MS15-088: Unsafe command-line parameter passing could allow information disclosure: August 11, 2015

3082487 MS15-085: Vulnerability in Mount Manager could allow elevation of privilege: August 11, 2015

3078662 MS15-080: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft graphics component could allow remote code execution: August 11, 2015

3082442 MS15-079: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: August 11, 2015

Wonder why they would be addressing Internet Explorer issues for Win10?...I thought that wasn't on Win10? :huh:

Minimo - the instructions for removing the Windows 10 update are here. If you uninstall KB3035583 that should take care of it. Worked for me.

Hi Jomie

Looks like I got it right (phew!) I have done what it said so hopefully there won't be any more nasty surprises. It doesn't change the fact that it has taken such an enormous chunk of my broadband usage allowance, but if I'm a bit careful for the rest of the month I should scrape through.

Wonder why they would be addressing Internet Explorer issues for Win10?...I thought that wasn't on Win10? :huh:

No it's still around in Windows 10 - I have found Edge so slow.

Further to my earlier post re Stardock Fences not working on W10 I have received an email from them on how to put it right. If anyone else has the problem I'll forward the email if you let me know.

Well, not really - for me. I get that there's, simply put, two types of computer user. Email/Internet types and Business/Work types.

For me, "quicker startup and shutdown times" are like a muscle car going for 0-60 in the blink of an eye and, with Autobahns less than ubiquitous, the 'running faster' is tempered by my typing and pixel picking abilities!

Most of all though productivity on computers, these days, is seriously hampered by mercilessly constant updates - unstable or not! And speed doesn't help me build a website or read /Slashdot any quicker. I just need stability which, I already have.

Truthfully, I am running a win10 virtual machine and, it's ok...

I should think the whole thing performing faster, using less RAM, would most definitely improve productivity.

I believe graphics renderings and networking may in fact be improved (especially compared to Windows 7) and being able to quickly snap windows to the left or right should be extremely useful for building websites. I use that functionality extensively when I'm working on websites or moving files around, snap the editor to the left, display the website on the right, etc.

I just don't understand peoples logic. OS upgrades should always be predominantly about improvements under-the-hood. Improving efficiency, security and stability. (naturally the latter may suffer a little at first on a new release)

Although I can certainly understand your issues with it hosing your environment. But it seems kinda wasteful if you spent the time fixing those problems to then back out to Windows 7 again. Or were you unable to fix everthing?

Edited by AlexAtkin

Or were you unable to fix everthing?

managed to troubleshoot the missing MySql Service - and Re-Install np. Still couldn't bring up a Local WIMP site tho'..

<minirant>

This on the heels of thousands of people's computers hanging forever on the "Finishing Updates Please Wait..." over the last 60/90 days, failed SQL updates, botched Exchange Service Packs and, quite frankly, a new generation of Programmers who, imho, lack the grey hairs, wisdom and experience to bring us, the Windows Computing Community at large, stable and reliable Windows Updates. The quality [reliability, robustness, stability etc..] of Windows Updates have visibly - and measurably - decreased over the last 18 months - probably more to do with the sheeple herding into walled gardens than the departure of Mr. Ballmer! I mean how many tweaks does a dot net need? [Yet another 'Free' Software Upgrade available for the 1st correct answer posted here!!!]

</minirant>

So yes, thank you, I was unable to fix everything. and yes, I should have known better.

Edited by Northumbrian
1st Post was Beta

It downloaded last night and I upgraded.

Trouble is I had 2 user accounts, one for normal windows and one for games only. After the upgrades finished it booted up into my games account so most of my other programmes were missing including documents, music, films and photos.

I may now have to rollback, delete the games account and start again.

Has anyone had similar problems when more than one user account was present?

Mind you...the machines we have at work, won't install Win10 cos the video cards we have installed are not compatible with Win10....So we've got to have new video cards installed...Which is a bit of a pain, to say the least...

You will find the "incompatable with windows 10" message will not go away even when a new compatable card is fitted.My warning notice is still quoting the make and model of my old card.Cannot find a way of correcting it.The update will not go ahead untill i can fix it.

Edited by rockonvynil

Presumably installing from the ISO will bypass this check though?

Presumably installing from the ISO will bypass this check though?

depends if the iso produces a boot disc or if the previous version of windows has to be running before the upgrade.Just found this on the windows 10 upgrade site .How often does the report run.The report runs automatically about once a month. If you've recently installed apps or devices, or made changes to your PC, the report might not reflect these changes. Great, but no way to force a fresh scan.

Edited by rockonvynil

I'm about to upgrade from the 32-bit to the 64-bit. Turns out that once you have upgraded to 10 32-bit you can then reinstall cleanly with a 64-bit ISO that you can download. Not sure if it will all go swimmingly, but as I have just received my 8Gb of RAM from Hong Kong I might as well go for it (32-bit limits to 3,25 Gb max).

depends if the iso produces a boot disc or if the previous version of windows has to be running before the upgrade.Just found this on the windows 10 upgrade site .How often does the report run.The report runs automatically about once a month. If you've recently installed apps or devices, or made changes to your PC, the report might not reflect these changes. Great, but no way to force a fresh scan.

You can run setup from the ISO on a live system to perform the upgrade.

You can even copy the ISO contents to another partition and run it from there, its how I upgraded from 7.

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 17:24 ----------

I'm about to upgrade from the 32-bit to the 64-bit. Turns out that once you have upgraded to 10 32-bit you can then reinstall cleanly with a 64-bit ISO that you can download. Not sure if it will all go swimmingly, but as I have just received my 8Gb of RAM from Hong Kong I might as well go for it (32-bit limits to 3,25 Gb max).

I take risks buying RAM one stick at a time, or using completely different sticks in dual-channel, or getting them from CEX :hihi: but NEVER buying from Hong Kong.

I did risk getting a Chinese brand mSATA SSD for my router, but only because its pretty hard to get hold of small mSATA SSDs at all and being a router it wouldn't get heavy use beyond booting and a few logs.

Edited by AlexAtkin