[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

Glad the upgrade went smoothly for you. Tweaking windows 10 is a long and tedious task that can take hours.

You may find these sites valuable now you are running Windows 10.. Windows 10 Forums,Winareo and How to Geek

And Windows 8 you could shut down with one click... :)

Thanks for the links...Interesting....I'm not really an 'in-depth' user of any operating system As long as it does what I want it to do, then that's fine. I just didn't like Win8 (along with a few million other users).

The only thing it changed for me which was irritating was the default search provider, and web browser, which was changed in a couple of minutes flat.

I am a technical user and still did not find I really had to tweak much.

What exactly is bothering you that you needed to take hours tweaking?

Does anyone know if M$ regularly upgrade the ISO to include the latest updates?

I am a technical user and still did not find I really had to tweak much.

What exactly is bothering you that you needed to take hours tweaking?

Nothing bothering me. Tweaks include removing all modern apps that I have no use for. Turing off services I have no need for and registry hacks. Included in the time are system images (five in total) that I make too.

If I decide to go back to Windows 8.1 the time taken now will be returned if I decide to have another look at Windows 10 in the future.

The clean install I have made has many bugs that are not in the upgrade from Windows 8. ie., numbers pad does not work at all even though num lock is on. Registry hack does not solve this problem.

Alps drivers and software do not work, even in compatibility mode.

Task bar on random occasions will display some icons but not all.

I'm now back on the Windows 10 upgrade image... all is working fine.

:hihi:

Who would have thought that a Windows upgrade would be more reliable than a clean install?

Then again, I guess they probably did a lot more testing on upgrades this time with it being mandatory for the free upgrade.

OK for clean install do it 'off line' and make sure that all your latest motherboard and other drivers are to hand - otherwise M$ screws the install. My mod friend has done 65 clean installs to study weird behaviours - the next service release will improve general settings and privacy settings.

OK for clean install do it 'off line' and make sure that all your latest motherboard and other drivers are to hand - otherwise M$ screws the install. My mod friend has done 65 clean installs to study weird behaviours - the next service release will improve general settings and privacy settings.

The first major update (dubbed Service Release 1) has left my laptop in a continuous loop of rebooting.

Second time I deferred the update and looked for a workaround.

This registry edit worked for me

I ran into some serious issues and was happy that I have other machines connected to the internet because I would never have worked this out!

Upon downloading the installation kept hanging at the Welcome Back Tim screen. It wouldn't respond to anything and then reboot once it realised it was stuck. It turns out that the Netgear Wifi adapter (6210 in my case) driver is not working with Win10. But Win10 doesn't know that, so it expects to have the adapter ready to connect to the internet, yet it can't.

The workaround was tedious, to say the least. I had to remove the adapter (unplug it) and then Win10 would boot, then I had to uninstall everything related to the adapter and install a Mediatek (uses same chipset) driver instead.

This fixed it, but really, how come the Mediatek driver works and the NetGear (Which is a much bigger company imo!) doesn't?

Anyway, it works now so I will have an explore, it does feel very smooth I have to say.

Finally MS got round to me.

Win10 upgrade went fine but totally hosed my several WIMP [Win, IIS, MySQL, PHP] Websites.

Lost the MySQL Service, re-installed it but still no happy. Tried to call MS - a 2 hour wait!! Went back to Win7 seamlessly after a three hour waste of my time.

Also, RDP. How do you "Restart" the Host from a Win10 Remote Session? - another 20 minutes wasted!

I'm happy to be back on Win7 - actually getting some productive work done. Shocking!

Also, fwiw, attempting to get rid of the Win10 Icon next to the clock got caught in a Please Wait forever...... on reboot.

Software Updates are nothing but a crap shoot these days. From everyone.

Edited by Northumbrian
1st Post was Beta.

I have a hybrid device previously on W8.1. It wasn't running well so I reformatted then downloaded W10 and installed it. Everything is OK but I am wondering how to manage a reinstall should the need arise - presumably as it is W8 on the recovery partition, it would revert to that? Should I download and burn an iso on a DVD just in case? I'm not bothered about losing data as it is only a spare machine so a full back up is not really necessary but a clean reformat might be.

The other thing is that I would like to delete Windows(old) to make space - would that be OK?

I have a hybrid device previously on W8.1. It wasn't running well so I reformatted then downloaded W10 and installed it. Everything is OK but I am wondering how to manage a reinstall should the need arise - presumably as it is W8 on the recovery partition, it would revert to that? Should I download and burn an iso on a DVD just in case? I'm not bothered about losing data as it is only a spare machine so a full back up is not really necessary but a clean reformat might be.

The other thing is that I would like to delete Windows(old) to make space - would that be OK?

Download Windows 10 from here

If you delete the Windows.old files (use Disk Cleanup) you will no be able to return to your previous version of Windows you updated from.

If you are okay with Windows 10 then delete it. You can also delete the $Windows.~WS folder too.

Thank you for the information lookleft. I downloaded it from that page originally but did not burn an iso so need to look at it more closely when I download it again. It seems to run better on Windows 10 so probably won't need those old files so will delete. Does this mean that I will then have no actual recovery partition on the laptop? :confused: