[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

Any Ideas how I can get Cortana voice up and running, on a laptop after the windows 10 upgrade. After googling, I am going around in circles. I get the "not supported in your region message". Then sometimes "Cortana is disabled by company policy" . Current user, welcome screen, new user account all set to English. As is region. There is also no microphone icon showing in the search bar. Any ideas would be what else I could try

I had a similar problem. Have you downloaded the English (UK) language pack and set that as default?

Applied upgrade installs on several machines using the ISOs. The whole procedure progresses surprisingly well.

Since I'm on the insider program I performed a clean install on my Win10 Pro test rig. Every-time I've upgraded

the rig I've always set a different background image that includes the date. I placed the image on the path

'C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Wallpaper\Windows 10'

On completion of the clean install the background image was the one I had previously set, the path was

'C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\CachedFiles' and the filename had changed.

Also, some configuration settings in Internet Explorer 11 had also been preserved.

I can only presume M$ are harvesting data from everyone who sets up with a M$ account and feeding back when a

new computer with a familiar account name is configured.

Couple of other notable items

When prompted for a key ( 3 times ) I've chosen apply later ( or something similar ), on completion Windows

self activated, presumably because I've signed up to the insider program & the hardware has not changed.

M$ seem to have made it a little tricky to setup a local account.

Yes. Downloaded English language pack for cortana. All the required settings and packs are as they should be as far as I am aware. Checked a few times to see if I've overlooked something. I guess I must have, though I can't see what.

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 21:35 ----------

Yes. Downloaded English language pack for cortana. All the required settings and packs are as they should be as far as I am aware. Checked a few times to see if I've overlooked something. I guess I must have, though I can't see what.

Well still no idea how or why. But Cortana just started working. Started laptop up as normal for the 3rd time today. Nothing had changed, but suddenly it went into the set up for Cortana. very strange but it has sort of answered my own question. So thanks Me!!

So far, I am woefully unimpressed.

I installed it on two machines, and had troubles with both.

One was an-in place upgrade of a Windows 8.1 virtual machine and the upgrade fails right at the start, with a typically-stupid Microsoft error message "Something happened"

Er, yeah?? And ??

The second was a beefed-up eight-core beast with 16Gb RAM. After several false starts (I had to uninstall my incompatible apps, then re-run the installer a few times, don't ask why) it eventually installed. And it was slow. After installing Office 2013, it refused to come out of sleep mode until I shoved another USB keyboard up its jacksie and shocked it out of it's comatose state.

The UI is uninspiring; I suppose I'll get used to it after a few. . . years?, but the default-black taskbar reminds me of an unactivated /non-genuine copy of Windows 7. What are Microsoft playing at?

And then I try Microsoft's state-of-the-art Edge browser, which is undoubtedly the greatest software application ever written and the best one I have ever used.

I open six tabs (it's an eight-core beast with 16GB RAM, remember) and the PC promptly locks up.

And I mean a full hardware lockup. Nothing will respond, not the keyboard, not mouse, nothing.

Fortunately, the power button does respond.

I force a hard shutdown, and leave it there.

I can not put into words how disappointed I am.

Well I can, but it's a family forum.

So let me finish by saying that I am utterly, bitterly, hugely disappointed.

Hi Joker, yes Edge looked snappy at first but then I experienced the same issue I had couple of years ago with Lunascape browser with Web-Kit engine - Bad Gateway - to a valid site (Zorin forum) and a 'nginx error' whatever that is! Obelix find on privacy has restricted my usage to games only. I have not done any further installs - the insider install upgraded to a'TH1 - Pro' - the watermark has disappeared. I guess it is now full? Yes well, remember it is a free OS and you are not going to get too much from M$ because of that are you? :hihi:

Any Ideas how I can get Cortana voice up and running, on a laptop after the windows 10 upgrade. After googling, I am going around in circles. I get the "not supported in your region message". Then sometimes "Cortana is disabled by company policy" . Current user, welcome screen, new user account all set to English. As is region. There is also no microphone icon showing in the search bar. Any ideas would be what else I could try

Change your Region and Language to "English (United States)" - cortana will be available then..

you can do this, and it not affect other things, because you keep your keyboard as UK, and time zone as normal! :)

even then, Cortana only speaks when you speak to her, if you type a question, it will reply with text rather than voice...

One was an-in place upgrade of a Windows 8.1 virtual machine and the upgrade fails right at the start, with a typically-stupid Microsoft error message "Something happened"

Er, yeah?? And ??

The second was a beefed-up eight-core beast with 16Gb RAM. After several false starts (I had to uninstall my incompatible apps, then re-run the installer a few times, don't ask why) it eventually installed. And it was slow. After installing Office 2013, it refused to come out of sleep mode until I shoved another USB keyboard up its jacksie and shocked it out of it's comatose state.

The UI is uninspiring; I suppose I'll get used to it after a few. . . years?, but the default-black taskbar reminds me of an unactivated /non-genuine copy of Windows 7. What are Microsoft playing at?

And then I try Microsoft's state-of-the-art Edge browser, which is undoubtedly the greatest software application ever written and the best one I have ever used.

I open six tabs (it's an eight-core beast with 16GB RAM, remember) and the PC promptly locks up.

And I mean a full hardware lockup. Nothing will respond, not the keyboard, not mouse, nothing.

The common factor problem here appears to be the users.

I've done several installs now and not one problem, 2 of them 'beast' machines.

Yes well, remember it is a free OS and you are not going to get too much from M$ because of that are you? :hihi:

Windows 10 is a huge gamble by Microsoft, who have been trounced in the smartphone wars and the tablet wars by Apple, and are feeling pressure from Linux and other open-source software developers in the corporate / enterprise markets and again from Apple in the desktop PC market.

£399 for a Mac Mini? That's almost the price of a PC!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3239191.htm

After my painful experience of Windows 10, I think Microsoft should stick to what they're best at, namely price-gouging their corporate customers by locking them into strict and costly software upgrade programnes.

It should keep the shareholders happy for a few more years, at least.

Er, yeah?? And ??

On the other hand my upgrade was great....:)

Including my new 'beast' set-up.

I have just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1 it took 35 - 40 minutes i did not get an option for a clean install, should i have got one i would rather have a clean install than a upgrade?

I have just upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1 it took 35 - 40 minutes i did not get an option for a clean install, should i have got one i would rather have a clean install than a upgrade?

The upgrade does not offer the option of clean install.

Now you have upgraded download Windows 10 from Microsoft

Make sure you have a USB stick or a blank DVD

The upgrade does not offer the option of clean install.

Now you have upgraded download Windows 10 from Microsoft

Make sure you have a USB stick or a blank DVD

\Cheer's lookleft will do.