[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

Hmmm can I upgrade my 32-bit Win7 pro to 64-bit Win10 pro now?

You would need to install Win7 64bit using your existing key (do not believe keys were ever locked to a specific bit version) and then upgrade.

You might possibly also be able to upgrade to Win10 32bit and then do a clean install of 64bit. But from what I have read, the option to clean install after upgrading is not working properly yet.

Edited by AlexAtkin

As far as I know the product keys for 32 bit systems will not work on 64 bit systems or the other way round.

In my experience (with retail keys) they DO work across either. When I bought 64bit it came with both 32bit and 64bit DVDs and one key.

This also suggests the same: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-fd7feb7d1915?auth=1

Edited by AlexAtkin

It will work if you buy both 64 bit and 32 bit in one package but if you buy just one or the other then in my experience they will not work ie if you buy the 32 bit on its own then a 64 bit key will not work with it. Possibly they may have changed it from windows 7 onwards but the only way to check it is to install and see if it works.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 16:49 ----------

If you're reinstalling though it sometimes thinks you're trying to use the key twice so you have to go through that phone verification thing.

Edited by baddodaddo

It will work if you buy both 64 bit and 32 bit in one package but if you buy just one or the other then in my experience they will not work ie if you buy the 32 bit on its own then a 64 bit key will not work with it. Possibly they may have changed it from windows 7 onwards but the only way to check it is to install and see if it works.

Retail box versions of Windows means that you don't get a bit-specific version, you would have received a single Retail licence key and it would work with either the 32 or 64 bit version of windows that was included in the box.

What you're meaning with having bit specific keys is an OEM version, which is cheaper because it's a 'one time use' system locked version of windows.

Well even though my asus vivotab 8 tablet updated, that reported the key is invalid, but 4 attempts later it finally activates

finally got the pc upgraded to windows 8, but still need to look at doing a clean install version - had to start the setup.exe from the usb stick and it went through this time without issues and windows activated

Edited by walkerx

Now to work out how to remove candy crush and xbox live!

There are only a few apps that can be uninstalled in Windows 10... afraid you are stuck with Xbox

As for Candy Crush I never even seen the app installed in 10

Anyone on here managed to upgrade through the get windows 10 app yet,

all i seem to be seeing is Thankyou for reserving your upgrade notify me when ready,

so far ive got 20 trys in windows update, windows 10 home upgrade failed, error details 80240020,

ive seen other people on various websites to try forcing the upgrade via the softwaredistribution folder and entering the command in cmd some are being successful and some are running into trouble, if i knew it worked 100% id try it

Anyone on here managed to upgrade through the get windows 10 app yet,

all i seem to be seeing is Thankyou for reserving your upgrade notify me when ready,

so far ive got 20 trys in windows update, windows 10 home upgrade failed, error details 80240020,

ive seen other people on various websites to try forcing the upgrade via the softwaredistribution folder and entering the command in cmd some are being successful and some are running into trouble, if i knew it worked 100% id try it

More info on the roll out of Windows 10

If you cannot wait then there are links in this thread on how to download immediately and do the upgrade.

Download windows 10

Edited by lookleft
Link added

Just removed my HyperX and Vertex 3 SSD's as well as my Seagate Hybrid drive - booted from my Samsung 850 Evo which I installed a clean version of Windows 10 on it yesterday, which wouldn't activate saying the key is blocked (caused by MS servers being overloaded) and the OS is activated :P

So finally running of a clean installation, now install the apps I use