Jug of tea for the sands!

Can you remember trips to the seaside in the 1950s when you'd see advertised 'jugs of tea for the sands' My father would always ask why the sands wanted tea! Were there such things as sandwiches to buy in those days or did we buy fish and chips? I'm not talking about day trips but when staying in a boarding house!

Yes I remember it well. We used to go to Scarborough every year courtesy of SUT and stopped in a boarding house overlooking the cricket ground.

After breakfast, down to the beach for the morning session. Get there, hire some deck chairs then somebody would go and get some tea.

Now, as a nipper, I couldn't understand why anybody in their right mind would want a hot drink sat on the beach in hot weather. Totally baffling when I was gagging for a KiaOra or an ice cream. It's refreshing, they'd say, and it was probably only when I got past 60 myself that I could understand that logic at all.

Must admit don't remember ever buying sandwiches except in a proper cafe. Sandwiches were what you made at home

We also went to scarborough most years,in late fifties,went on train and stayed in guest house in trafalgar square,always got a bedroom overlooking cricket ground.

Yes I think ours was in Trafalgar Sq. It was Mrs Eakes. Got a feeling they had some connection with Sheffield.

It was in the days where you went back for lunch then out again all afternoon and then back for evening meal at tea time. Probably then a stroll along the front playing the machines, milkshake at the Harbour Bar and maybe a bag of chips for supper. Same routine most days but never got tired of it.

Anyone remember those machines on the harbour where you could stamp your name out on a metal strip for 1d.?

i remember going to wyming brook for picnics and my grandad used to go and get a pot of tea from a house/cafe on redmires rd , and bring it back to the brook.

Dreb48, you have just described every holiday we ever had in scarborough except we finished up at the pub,me outside with a bottle of pop and bag of crisps,we stayed at about 3rd house down on trafalgar square,i think it was called elizabeth house,owend by a lady called mrs. warburton.

On holiday with my parents at Bridlington in the 50's. Dad would go down to the Prom on the N side before breakfast for a cuppa. Think they called the tea stall Millers. Anyone remember ?

Hi: My Grandparents, Edward and Gladys Gibson owned a café on Blands Cliff in Scarborough. We used to serve Jugs of hot tea and coffee and the customers would rent the jugs and cups and place a deposit which was returned when the jugs were returned. We also served Cornish Pasties(before that was outlawed to call them that), kunzel cakes(lovely chocolate cups with different flavours in them), chips, sandwiches, biscuits and other easy finger foods. They finally gave it up when they got into their late 60's, probably around the early 1970's. At that time they were also involved in a toy shop up on the main drag. Our great grandfather's tobacconist shop, Kisby's was run by our uncle Teddy Gibson after Granddad Kisby died.

Hi: My Grandparents, Edward and Gladys Gibson owned a café on Blands Cliff in Scarborough. We used to serve Jugs of hot tea and coffee and the customers would rent the jugs and cups and place a deposit which was returned when the jugs were returned. We also served Cornish Pasties(before that was outlawed to call them that), kunzel cakes(lovely chocolate cups with different flavours in them), chips, sandwiches, biscuits and other easy finger foods. They finally gave it up when they got into their late 60's, probably around the early 1970's. At that time they were also involved in a toy shop up on the main drag. Our great grandfather's tobacconist shop, Kisby's was run by our uncle Teddy Gibson after Granddad Kisby died.

'Kunzel Cakes', now there's a memory, didn't they have a place around Beighton?

I don't know if there was a place in Brighton for Kunzel cakes but they were a very fond memory - never saw them after I left England! We always went back to Scarborough for vacations because that is where my mum and I were both from. I left England in 1970 to be a nanny in Toronto Canada - married and other than a few vacations never went back after mom, dad and sisters all joined me in Canada. Margaret Thatcher was closing down all the steel industry (I worked at Brown Bailey Steels) and there was not a lot to take it's place at that time in Sheffield so the family all joined me in Canada.

I don't know if there was a place in Brighton for Kunzel cakes but they were a very fond memory - never saw them after I left England! We always went back to Scarborough for vacations because that is where my mum and I were both from. I left England in 1970 to be a nanny in Toronto Canada - married and other than a few vacations never went back after mom, dad and sisters all joined me in Canada. Margaret Thatcher was closing down all the steel industry (I worked at Brown Bailey Steels) and there was not a lot to take it's place at that time in Sheffield so the family all joined me in Canada.

That would be 'Beighton' , as in near Hackenthorpe and Woodhose, not Prince Albert's playground on the south coast.

That would be 'Beighton' , as in near Hackenthorpe and Woodhose, not Prince Albert's playground on the south coast.

Thanks - My British geography is a little hazy these days ;o)