Thorpe House Estate & Carfield School

Did anyone either live in the Thorpe House Estates during the 1950's or go to Carfield School which had an infants, juniors and seniors schools all separate buildings with their own play grounds. There was an air raid siran which was run every now and then just to keep it from rusting up I guess! I joined when I was 9 so that would have been around '57. I remember Mrs. Tindall who we were all afraid of - she loved to use the cane! My favorite teacher was Mrs. Shelby(think that was her name) who taught biology. The school closed down finally at the end of the 50's but continued to be used for night school I understand. There was a retirement home right next to the school and at Harvest time we would take gifts of food over and sing to them. We had some great teachers in the seniors but my memory is getting rather dim on names of teachers. My sisters and I lived on Thorpe House Road, myself Patricia, and sisters, Paula, Janina and finally Halina. There was a woods at the bottom of our road which we were not supposed to go into without a grown up (of course we did). It was a great road for sledging each winter - lots of fun with Jillian, Colin, Margaret Carr, Judy, Pamela Davis, David and Susan.

Went to all 3 schools which were run typical of the 1950's system, firm but, fair.

We left when the senior school closed in 1962, transferred to Newfield Secondary unless you passed the 11+/13+ as I did then went to grammar school of your choice.

The staff we remember well are Miss.Tindall, Mrs. Lydiard, Mrs.Jones, Mr.Vasey and the headmaster Mr. Chandler all in Carfield Junior School.

The staff members we recall from Carfield Secondary were Mr.Roache (fearsome bloke and wicked with it), Mr.Cartwright (maths teacher who was revered), Mr.Davidson who was our form teacher, Mr.Vickers (Dobbin) geography teacher, Mr.Phillips (science), Miss.Howard (domestic science) and the head Mr. Edlington (like a sergeant major complete with stick).

The old peoples' home which you recall was J.D.Cook & Beard Homes, Argyle Close.

Regards,

Duffems

After spending a couple of years at Meersbrook Bank, we moved to Lees Hall Road in early 1955. I spent 3 years in Carfield Juniors & was taught by Mr Collinson, Miss Holdsworth, Miss Makinson/ Mrs Sheldon, & Mr Vasey. Other names I remember were "Pop" Flowers, Miss Samuels, Miss Lidyard, Miss Rubery, Miss Tindall, & the fearsome cane-wielding Mr Ainsworth. I thought Mr Vasey was a terrific teacher who worked very hard to get all his class through the 11+.

Edited by fatrajah

Thank you for bringing a lot of teachers names back to mind for me. My class mates and I were all scared of Miss Tindall (particularly me). She gave us a math test once and said anyone who got anything wrong would get the cane. About 50% of us were up at the end of the lesson and she gave us all the cane. I know she didn't intend to but she broke my little finger on my left hand. She told me to stop sniveling and being a baby as everyone but me had got over it later in the afternoon. Next day my mother came to see Mr. Chandler and she was called into the office as the hospital confirmed my broken figure that night. Of course, I never heard what transpired. It was the only time in my school career when I got the cane as I was a very well behaved kid and liked to get on with my teachers. I also remember Mr. Roache - and yes, you are right he was fearsome. He was another I was rather afraid of. Whilst in the seniors the school was going on a trip to Belgium. I didn't ask my parents as I knew we didn't have the money but Mr. Vickers came to see my parents one evening and he requested they try to let me go. Sure enough I got to go on the trip, thanks to him. I will always remember him for that kindness. He was a great geography teacher and another one who always ensured we learned everything he taught in the class. I liked Mr. Eglington the headmaster and never had any trouble with him. My sister Paula tells me she was taught briefly by Mrs. Eglington but I don't remember her. I passed my 14+ and went to St. Pauls RC Comprehensive school which was just opening as Carfield closed. It sounds as though we might have been in the same class?

Just come off the phone with an old friend from school days and ironically had suddenly talked about Miss Ruberry at Carfield, which caused me to try a search on her name and found this forum , so just had to post a mention.

We both lived on the Thorpe House estate and seemingly the same age as you , now 67, so must have be in the juniors around the same year.

Think I was in class 4A Mr Ainsworths while my friend was in 4B Miss Ruberrys class.

Again, quiet by chance, one of the things I mentioned was Mr Ainsworth similarly loosing his rag after about everyone failed his maths test, so he gave us all a slap in the hand, I think with a ruler, but could have been a cane.

Did not bother about it myself, but can always remember little Janice Bottomley really sobbing her heart out; she was one of the brighter pupils and never got into trouble.

Next day her parents were down causing a right stink.

Am emailing my friend with a link to this forum, though your surname ( if the real one) does not ring a bell to me, its possible we were in the same class or year ...

Edited by wp100

Just come off the phone with an old friend from school days and ironically had suddenly talked about Miss Ruberry at Carfield, which caused me to try a search on her name and found this forum , so just had to post a mention.

We both lived on the Thorpe House estate and seemingly the same age as you , now 67, so must have be in the juniors around the same year.

Think I was in class 4A Mr Ainsworths while my friend was in 4B Miss Ruberrys class.

Again, quiet by chance, one of the things I mentioned was Mr Ainsworth similarly loosing his rag after about everyone failed his maths test, so he gave us all a slap in the hand, I think with a ruler, but could have been a cane.

Did not bother about it myself, but can always remember little Janice Bottomley really sobbing her heart out; she was one of the brighter pupils and never got into trouble.

Next day her parents were down causing a right stink.

Am emailing my friend with a link to this forum, though your surname ( if the real one) does not ring a bell to me, its possible we were in the same class or year ...

My name at that time was Patricia Ashby but everyone called me Pat. I wore my hair in long dark brown plaits or pigtails as we called them. It's hard to remember names of fellow students but I remember there was a Terry (Terrance), also Margaret Car (Carr?) and Catherine Bagshaw who was my friend. I was in Mr. Ainsworth's class at one point and he had a son who I think was in a year below mine and I was friendly with him.

I remember Jillian and Collin Palmer who lived round the corner from us and Jillian Ellis lived on our road - Thorpe House Road. She had a younger brother but can't remember his name. I think she was a year younger than me too but not sure. There was a David Wells also on our road who palled around with a girl across from us called Susan - Can't remember her surname. Catherine and I used to go down the road to the woods at the bottom and loved to play on what we called the 'bouncy log', which was a big old tea which had fallen across the river in the woods. We also used to go up to an old disused farm house and look around for pieces of broken pearl buttons. I guess they must had had some kind of workshop producing them! Do any of these things ring a bell with you?

Hi Pat,

Well you have certainly made my old brain cells work overtime, the only problem is I cannot put many names to faces.

Have not heard back from my old friend , though he's about to go off on holiday.

I'm Richard and lived near the top of Hollythorpe Rise on the even number side.

From all those names only one rings a bell , and that was Catherine Bagshaw, but cannot remember anything about her.

Do wonder if you were in a class a year before or after me, as that Mr. Ainsworth caning was very memorable and much talked about by the parents.

He did have three sons I believe, while in 4A there was the youngest in a lower year, can remember he cut an artery in his wrist in the playground and caused a panic rush to the hospital.

Can remember seeing the middle son in the school as well, he might even have been in my 4a class, cannot imagine him being older and in Carfield seniors ?

Cannot remember any of those names from Thorpe House Road though sure my old mother would have known the names.

We had a Mr Palmer two doors below, but don't think they had kids our age.

Some of the school folk I can remember, who were at the Junior school but not necessarily in the 4A class.

Barbara Briggs who I sat next to in the first year of juniors, she lived in the houses just across from the school.

David Stevenson, whos Dad had the Fishmonger shop / home in Derbyshire Lane.

John Coulson, lived near Meersbrook park, always a bit of a lad.

Paul Jefferies, a tall lad and very, very bright, almost gifted some said

Seem to remember than we had class photos taken in the last year, can remember having a print of just my face but don't think we bought a class print.

Did you ever have and keep a full class photo ?

Like the others, I also went on to the seniors and the infamous Mr.Roache and Mr Vickers and also a youngish female teacher who did the biology lessons, name forgotten.

I took a 13+ exam and went on to the Central Technical School in the city centre for 3 years.

Cannot remember anything about a 14+ exams ? and the St Pauls school ?

Yes , we used to play down in the 'Woods' also, even went skinny dipping in the stream in the days it ran quiet fast !

Also used to go looking for the mother of pearl peices and the grand task of collecting cow pats and leaf mould for my dads garden ..:gag::D

What about organising a class of '57 reunion, Valrico sounds just the place , provided the hurricane season has not started :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Hi Pat,

Well you have certainly made my old brain cells work overtime, the only problem is I cannot put many names to faces.

Have not heard back from my old friend , though he's about to go off on holiday.

I'm Richard and lived near the top of Hollythorpe Rise on the even number side.

From all those names only one rings a bell , and that was Catherine Bagshaw, but cannot remember anything about her.

Do wonder if you were in a class a year before or after me, as that Mr. Ainsworth caning was very memorable and much talked about by the parents.

He did have three sons I believe, while in 4A there was the youngest in a lower year, can remember he cut an artery in his wrist in the playground and caused a panic rush to the hospital.

Can remember seeing the middle son in the school as well, he might even have been in my 4a class, cannot imagine him being older and in Carfield seniors ?

Cannot remember any of those names from Thorpe House Road though sure my old mother would have known the names.

We had a Mr Palmer two doors below, but don't think they had kids our age.

Some of the school folk I can remember, who were at the Junior school but not necessarily in the 4A class.

Barbara Briggs who I sat next to in the first year of juniors, she lived in the houses just across from the school.

David Stevenson, whos Dad had the Fishmonger shop / home in Derbyshire Lane.

John Coulson, lived near Meersbrook park, always a bit of a lad.

Paul Jefferies, a tall lad and very, very bright, almost gifted some said

Seem to remember than we had class photos taken in the last year, can remember having a print of just my face but don't think we bought a class print.

Did you ever have and keep a full class photo ?

Like the others, I also went on to the seniors and the infamous Mr.Roache and Mr Vickers and also a youngish female teacher who did the biology lessons, name forgotten.

I took a 13+ exam and went on to the Central Technical School in the city centre for 3 years.

Cannot remember anything about a 14+ exams ? and the St Pauls school ?

Yes , we used to play down in the 'Woods' also, even went skinny dipping in the stream in the days it ran quiet fast !

Also used to go looking for the mother of pearl peices and the grand task of collecting cow pats and leaf mould for my dads garden ..:gag::D

What about organising a class of '57 reunion, Valrico sounds just the place , provided the hurricane season has not started :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Hello Richard - So nice to have a name to talk to!! I think we were in different classes and it could be because I started school at 4 years of age in a Convent in Burngreave Road. I left there when I was nine so that would be in 1957 and did the last 2 years of junior school at Carfield, so that would be for Junior years 3 and 4. I failed the 11+ so went into Carfield Seniors and took the 13+ and passed that. What I didn't know when it came time for Carfield to close was that I had a chance to go to a grammer school. I was told by our local priest that I would be transferred to St. Paul's Catholic School which was just opening up. I called my mother who is now in Canada (along with all three of my sisters and their families) and asked her if she realized I could have gone to a grammer school and she said that the priest - Father Putman never mentioned there was a choice and I guess there were some things going on with my mother and stepfather at the time so no one thought to contact the school or the school system to find out what my options were. As it turned out I did well at the Catholic school and became top girl of the school and Head Girl and Head Librarian but 'am disappointed to learn there were other options I might have had.

Are you on facebook? - I am under Patricia Broughton. If so we could hook up there! Somehow shared backgrounds makes a kind of bond which is not the same as with others you meet in life:

Hi Pat,

Seems neither of us can recognise any of those names of the puplis we knew so we must have been in a different year.

I know I said a 4A reunion of 57 , but I was wrong, it would have to have been '59 for me to be 11 at that time, so we must have been very close ?

Whats strange is that I can remember the first years class and the last but not the one in the middle, still it was almost 60 years ago ..!

Two more names of two lads who were in the class 4A , one called Darrel who lived on Lees Hall Road or Ave and Glyn Bourne who lived on Hollythorpe Road.

Which end of Thorpe House Road did you live, its a long road, Meersbrook Park end or more down the hill towards the woods. I assume the latter with you sledging down there.

Seem to remember doing some sledging there though Meersbrook park was the favourite place for doing that.

I sometimes used to deliver the evening papers down there for old Mrs Davies and Bill, though my round was mainly Lees Hall Road and Hollythorpe Road.

Bet we would have seen each other at some stage.

A shame my friend hasn't come in as he holidays a lot on the Forida west coast near you but cannot for the life of me remember its name.

Afraid I do not do FB and Witter etc .

What happens if you run some of those names on FB, do you get anyone you might have known?

Without sounding too dark, suppose not all of them will have made it to our age.:(

WP100

John Coulson lived at Pearson Pl

Sadly he died 3 years ago next week 2012

WP100

John Coulson lived at Pearson Pl

Sadly he died 3 years ago next week 2012

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

Are you are relative or friend of Johns?

Never knew him other than as a Carfield junior school friend.

He was one of the funny ones of the bunch, always getting up to boyish mischief in the school playground and when a few of us gathered in Meersbrook Park in the early evenings and holidays.

Would be interesting to hear of his life and if you can add anything to Pats original post about the pupils of Carfield during those early years ?

I was friends with John Coulson in the 1950s. He was a really nice lad. Sorry to hear has passed away.

Edited by fatrajah