Hummingbird Hawksmoth seen in Walkley

I live in Oughtibridge and there was one of these flapping around my security light at the back door last week.

If I'm honest I had no idea what it was and thought it was scary looking!!

I'm no expert but as these moths 'drink' nectar rather like butterflies wouldn't they only be out in the daytime not night-time like most moths? It was certainly daytime when I saw 'mine'!

I'm no expert but as these moths 'drink' nectar rather like butterflies wouldn't they only be out in the daytime not night-time like most moths? It was certainly daytime when I saw 'mine'!

It was daytime when I saw it, I was leaving for work.

I never said it was night time, or that the light was on, just where abouts I saw it.

Just pottering in garden this afternoon when I noticed one flying around some flowers a few feet away, grabbed video camera and got some good shots, albeit shaky. It kept buzzing off then returning. It was very nicely coloured and rather pretty.

I live in Oughtibridge and there was one of these flapping around my security light at the back door last week.

If I'm honest I had no idea what it was and thought it was scary looking!!

Wish one would come near my house out here! I'd love to see it.

If anyone is interested....maybe you're not, but I saw one of these today .

A cross between a giant bumble bee and a hummingbird, scarce but increasingly coming north

We had one visiting my parents flower bed constantly throughout the day for about a week a few years back at Southey Green, it was so fast it was impossible for me to get a pic of, its behaviour was incredible, nothing at all like a moth and very much like a bird.

my partner has just come back from abroad and today she was on about something that looked like a big bee flying about i showed her what it was a hummingbird hawk moth and then lo and behold i look on here and someone was on about it spooky or what lol

O.M.G my worst nightmare keep them up there near you I don't want them .... creeped out :gag:

I saw the same thing here yesterday in Shiregreen, wondered what it was at first this little thing hovering around the flowers, it was lovely to see actually.

Edited by Jillybabes

I have seen this moth...we live sheffield 7 abbeydale rd area I opened up my sun parasole and it was asleep inside I was so scared with how big it was as I hate moths but it was deffo one of them as ive looked it up and now i cannot shut up about it, and a friend told me its like a celebrity of the moth world and that it was on here of sightings of this moth...

A relative in bolsover videoed one in their garden a few weeks back..

I caught one!!!!!!!! But it looked at me with sorry eyes, So i let it go. There amazing!!!!!