Little Sisters of the Poor Convent, Burngreave Road, 1950's

The sisters were the Little Sisters of the Poor who taught at Burngreave Road Convent.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6178778088324758625

------------------

Hi, You can see in this picture the Convent House corner of

Abberfield Rd - Burngreave Rd.

To be honest i dont think its a convent anymore.

As said not very sure. :suspect:

Apparently, my Grandmother was an orphan who was raised by Nuns at the Convent at Burngreave. That would have been in the late 1800's, early 1900's. Does anyone have any knowledge of how I can get access to the records kept by the Convent, or the Catholic Church?

On 01/08/2015 at 00:01, neilf said:

Remember Dr Leddy he was our Doctor very nice man, he had quite a few children from what I remember.

On 01/08/2015 at 02:46, stpetre said:

Yes agree with 'owdsmiffy' I''m from the Burngreave area and that place was in Heeley Bank Road, the Pitsmoor one, perhaps had another name? As for Dr. Leddy, the affable and distinguished Irish gentleman's surgery and home was in the early 60's on Burngreave Road a few houses (and I mean houses!!) up from the Vestry Hall.

Dr Leddy was my doctor for a good many years,

when he was the onley one there.

https://notices.irishtimes.com/death/leddy/2364655

Edited by kidley

11 hours ago, Gerard Gamble said:

Apparently, my Grandmother was an orphan who was raised by Nuns at the Convent at Burngreave. That would have been in the late 1800's, early 1900's. Does anyone have any knowledge of how I can get access to the records kept by the Convent, or the Catholic Church?

Check with Sheffield Archives first.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/libraries-archives/access-archives-local-studies-library

The correct name was St.Catherine 's  Roman Catholic Convent based at Underwood House (Burngreave Road/Abbeyfield Road). It became a private Catholic junior school -for girls I think-late 1950s,early 60s, and is now a nursing home. As for the two Dr.Leddys (Burngreave Road and Up well Street), they were Dublin born brothers.

My mother worked at Leppingtons and they use to come round collecting Evey year sign a book to who they had been. Until it was found that guy use two books then they ere stopped

the Little Sisters of the Poor Convent was On Heeley Bank Road

It was so lovely to read the comments about my father , Charles Leddy, and would like to thank those who made them. I know that we’ll all enjoy reading them and I’ll make sure to pass them on.

I was at Burngreave Convent or the Convent High School as I think it was called. The nuns were Sisters of Mercy who also taught at St Catherine’s and Mylnhurst schools and ran Claremont nursing home

we lived in the Surgery house at 32 Burngreave Road although the practice moved to No 5 at some point.Then we moved across town when I was nine or ten sometime in the 60s

Dr Farrel Leddy was my fathers brother and had a surgery on Upwell St .

Both brothers had children who became medical doctors.

I remember Sisters, Columba, Magdalen and Clare very well. I have fond memories if Mrs Clarke in Transition and Mrs Elliot in Prep 4.

I went on to Notre Dame after that.

once again Thankyou for the lovely comments, they are much appreciated 

Catherine Leddy

On 31/07/2015 at 23:16, mafya said:

Our Dr at Upwell street surgery was called Dr Leddy in the 70s and he was an Irish fella too.

I'm sure his daughter was also a Dr but I can't remember her name..

I think both those fine doctors were brothers.

Edited by St Petre

On 03/08/2015 at 08:50, rodbender said:

hi pbroughton I also attended the convent school burngreave road in 1954/55ish I was only there for 1 term when my father got the bill he pulled me out found out he could not afford the fees I was only 4or5 years old later on I went to st caths I remember I had to go for chips & fish every Friday for the sisters and take them in a basket to the convent for there lunch cant see this happening these days I was only 9 years old happy days

Was that the Catholic young   girls school at the corner of Burngreave Road and Abbeyfield Road? They wore immaculate uniforms (sometimes in Summer straw hats)), the convent was  ,I think- on Melrose Road.

On 25/04/2023 at 22:57, Catherine Leddy said:

It was so lovely to read the comments about my father , Charles Leddy, and would like to thank those who made them. I know that we’ll all enjoy reading them and I’ll make sure to pass them on.

I was at Burngreave Convent or the Convent High School as I think it was called. The nuns were Sisters of Mercy who also taught at St Catherine’s and Mylnhurst schools and ran Claremont nursing home

we lived in the Surgery house at 32 Burngreave Road although the practice moved to No 5 at some point.Then we moved across town when I was nine or ten sometime in the 60s

Dr Farrel Leddy was my fathers brother and had a surgery on Upwell St .

Both brothers had children who became medical doctors.

I remember Sisters, Columba, Magdalen and Clare very well. I have fond memories if Mrs Clarke in Transition and Mrs Elliot in Prep 4.

I went on to Notre Dame after that.

once again Thankyou for the lovely comments, they are much appreciated 

Catherine Leddy

Think Dr leady had a surgery at page Hall and Dr Willie had one on Upwell St opposite the ball Inn?

The correct title was The Convent High School For Girls. I know because I went there.

Edited by pattricia