Little Sisters of the Poor Convent, Burngreave Road, 1950's

I attended The Convent when between 4-9 years old. There was a girl who's father was our doctor - Dr. Leddy (not sure of the spelling) he lived across the road on Burngreave (again not sure of the spelling) and her name was Helen. There was also a pretty girl with dark curly hair named Mary. The headmistress was Sister Ignatious. I was in Sister Columba's class and also sister Mary's class. The sisters used to make and sell cough sweets for us to purchase when in the playground. Did you attend the school around those days? I would love to hear from anyone who was there during those years. I now live in Florida, USA for past 16 and have also lived in Canada for 29 years. Left England to be a nanny and stayed in the Americas since.

Don't remember the one on Burngreave Rd, but I recall the one that was on Heely Bank Rd, about that time.

Hi,

I had friends there but I'm sure the nuns belonged to the Sisters of Mercy as some also taught at St. Catherine's School.

Hi,

I had friends there but I'm sure the nuns belonged to the Sisters of Mercy as some also taught at St. Catherine's School.

The sisters were the Little Sisters of the Poor who taught at Burngreave Road Convent.

I attended The Convent when between 4-9 years old. There was a girl who's father was our doctor - Dr. Leddy (not sure of the spelling) he lived across the road on Burngreave (again not sure of the spelling) and her name was Helen. There was also a pretty girl with dark curly hair named Mary. The headmistress was Sister Ignatious. I was in Sister Columba's class and also sister Mary's class. The sisters used to make and sell cough sweets for us to purchase when in the playground. Did you attend the school around those days? I would love to hear from anyone who was there during those years. I now live in Florida, USA for past 16 and have also lived in Canada for 29 years. Left England to be a nanny and stayed in the Americas since.

Remember Dr Leddy he was our Doctor very nice man, he had quite a few children from what I remember.

Yes agree with 'owdsmiffy' I''m from the Burngreave area and that place was in Heeley Bank Road, the Pitsmoor one, perhaps had another name? As for Dr. Leddy, the affable and distinguished Irish gentleman's surgery and home was in the early 60's on Burngreave Road a few houses (and I mean houses!!) up from the Vestry Hall.

Edited by stpetre
add

Yes agree with 'owdsmiffy' I''m from the Burngreave area and that place was in Heeley Bank Road, the Pitsmoor one, perhaps had another name? As for Dr. Leddy, the affable and distinguished Irish gentleman's surgery and home was in the early 60's on Burngreave Road a few houses (and I mean houses!!) up from the Vestry Hall.

Our Dr at Upwell street surgery was called Dr Leddy in the 70s and he was an Irish fella too.

I'm sure his daughter was also a Dr but I can't remember her name..

My father took us to visit at Little Sisters of The Poor every Sunday in the late Sixties as it was at that time an Old Peoples Home.

...As for Dr. Leddy, the affable and distinguished Irish gentleman's surgery and home was in the early 60's on Burngreave Road...
Yes, directories show Dr Charles E. Leddy at 32 Burngreave Road. He was perhaps related to Dr Farrell J. Leddy of 91 Upwell Street, mentioned by mafya.
Remember Dr Leddy he was our Doctor very nice man, he had quite a few children from what I remember.
Dr Charles Leddy evidently married Mary Hicks in 1948; looking at the births index, likely children are Treasa M. Leddy (born 1950), Peter J. Leddy (1951), Catherine M. Leddy (1953), Aidan J. Leddy (1957) and Caroline M.U.P. Leddy (1961)..:)

I attended a R.C. primary school and everyday we took a penny to school to buy 2 rich tea biscuits to have with our morning milk.

When Lent came around we would still take our pennies to school but they were donated to the coffers of the little sisters at Olive Grove as our way of giving up something up for Lent.

Just as an aside ... My cousin was educated by the sisters at Pitsmoor before going on to attend Notre Dame.

I remember the convent on Burngreave Rd very well. The nuns were a regular sight around Pitsmoor the one that comes to mind was Sister Gonzales (not sure of the spelling) I think she was Irish.

hi pbroughton I also attended the convent school burngreave road in 1954/55ish I was only there for 1 term when my father got the bill he pulled me out found out he could not afford the fees I was only 4or5 years old later on I went to st caths I remember I had to go for chips & fish every Friday for the sisters and take them in a basket to the convent for there lunch cant see this happening these days I was only 9 years old happy days