ASDA Walkley - Brave New World

Today I went to the bank to put in a cheque but the machine didn't work, same happened to me at Poundland. Have numerous examples of this happening to me so give me a person, even the grumpy one at Asda and I will choose them over machine any day.

Today I went to the bank to put in a cheque but the machine didn't work, same happened to me at Poundland. Have numerous examples of this happening to me so give me a person, even the grumpy one at Asda and I will choose them over machine any day.

What ?

You can pay cheques in at Poundland ?

The world's gone mad.:help:

Personally, I think they're all quite nice in Asda, it's easily one of the friendliest small supermarkets I've been to.

.....how can the item be unexpected when it's just been bleedin' scanned into the machine....GRRRR

It's unexpected because it hasn't been scanned or it's been scanned incorrectly.

Personally, I think they're all quite nice in Asda, it's easily one of the friendliest small supermarkets I've been to.

You dont work in one by any chance do you? :hihi:

I go in there very frequently, they're not miserable at all.

Ive never had any problem in this Asda. Always found it to be ok. Use it every week as well as the one on Middlewood road near Leppings lane

In the last few years supermarkets have changed beyond belief.

They have gone from a licence to print money to many struggling to be profitable.

Just look at the latest Tesco and Morrisons profit updates for proof.

Online,and the discounters mean in order for the "big 4" to survive they have had to cut prices and cut overheads and of course Payroll along with rental are the biggest overheads.

The alternative is much less choice and mainly online and discounters being the main choice for shoppers.

Aldi and the other discounters have far less staff and operate from a much lower cost base.

Already Tesco have shelved many new openings and shut plenty of existing stores.

Cheaper prices come at a cost and you will see less staff in store in the future as they try to compete with the discounters.

well not really surprising they're losing money since they've all built far too many stores.

I avoid that place like the plague. Use to go in quite regularly but there is one woman in there (older lady) who has got the personality of a gnat! No smile, no eye communication, nothing! This isn't a one off where I've gone in and she's maybe had a bad day, she certainly shouldn't be in a customer focused job. She is miserable

Sheffield Forum isn't the place for trolls. This thread is full of horrible things by anonymous people about someone who's in no position to answer back. Shame on you all.

Sheffield Forum isn't the place for trolls. This thread is full of horrible things by anonymous people about someone who's in no position to answer back. Shame on you all.

I actually get alone really well with this lady. She's very funny and chatty once she gets to know you. I do agree there is an issue with staff levels especially around busy times. But I also think sometimes shoppers are stupid and can not follow simple instructions which then holds the queues up.

Was going to give you that one Daven, but no, not so easily. If self-service hadn't been introduced, those working the tills would still have jobs and even if that did make them an automaton, only part so, they could still have a bit of a chat! :)

Same in our banks, soul-less places now. As regards initiating conversation, I hardly have to - I'm one of those people who complete strangers tell me their whole life story without me asking!

Sorry, love people, hate machines. Old age has well and truly set in. Regards.

Not a single person has lost their job to self service machines, in fact the actual hours of the people who work there have increased and new people have appeared. Amazing what you find out when you actually interact with people who work there :-) The only reason anyone would lose a job is because people like all of you complaining on this forum don't use the shop anymore and take the money away which then drops the profit margin and makes it have to cut wage bills.

---------- Post added 20-08-2015 at 21:28 ----------

I actually get alone really well with this lady. She's very funny and chatty once she gets to know you. I do agree there is an issue with staff levels especially around busy times. But I also think sometimes shoppers are stupid and can not follow simple instructions which then holds the queues up.

Love the end to that post, totally 100% true

Not having the choice reduces customers as those who don't want to interact with machines will vote with their feet. Each to their own as I don't object to others using machines especially if it frees up queues but bring back choice.

Edited by Rivelin6