Zimbabwe's most famous lion, Cecil, is shot.

If he'd shot a cow or a Tommy would that have been worse or better?

What if he'd been fishing for a prize carp? Would that have been acceptable.

If you post a picture of yourself gloating with a cow or a gazelle you've just shot on Farcebook or Tw@tter, then don't be surprised if Ricky Gervais and Co come after you.

Prize carp are returned alive.

What? With a damaged mouth? I always assumed when a fish is caught its caught but then most of my fish comes from Captain Birdseye so what do i know?

I always thought sport was been both teams/person, that there is an equal opportunity to win, I've never seen 2 boxers enter the ring, 1 with a knife and the other with his hands tied behind his back. So how on earth can this be called a sport, let call it what it is, an execution

Turns out Mr Palmer has form...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33699346

Separately, court records have shown that the dentist has a felony record in the US after killing a black bear in the state of Wisconsin in 2006.

He was given a one-year probation and fined $3,000 (£1,900), having shot the animal outside an authorised zone and then trying to pass it off as having been killed elsewhere.

Still, at least he learned his lesson:rolleyes:

It would have been the same because those animals (don't know what a Tommy is) like lions are not for shooting.

In a permitted fishing spot and with a valid licence, yes that is acceptable.

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 13:54 ----------

I'm glad Halibut's generally aren't. ;)

What? With a damaged mouth? I always assumed when a fish is caught its caught but then most of my fish comes from Captain Birdseye so what do i know?

I thought it was a legal requirement to return the carp and stuff people fish for sport??

I don't think the hook usually does much damage to be honest, not to the chances of survival.

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 14:11 ----------

I suppose most people would be pretty disgusted if those animals were killed in the same way.

Shot, and then chased all night until it could run no further, then shot again, skinned and beheaded.

I thought it was a legal requirement to return the carp and stuff people fish for sport??

I've read that a few times and I just can't fathom it at all.

How come shooting a Lion with a name is wrong, but shooting one without a name, is okay?

I cannot accept that shooting ANY animal, be it named or otherwise, for "sport" is OK. Especially with a sodding crossbow!!! He couldnt even be bothered to finish it off humanly but allow it to suffer for nigh on FOUR days!!!

I think it should be acceptable for some "hunters" to do the same to him, after all he will find it such fun :)

I cannot accept that shooting ANY animal, be it named or otherwise, for "sport" is OK. Especially with a sodding crossbow!!! He couldnt even be bothered to finish it off humanly but allow it to suffer for nigh on FOUR days!!!

I think it should be acceptable for some "hunters" to do the same to him, after all he will find it such fun :)

+1 just about sums it up for me

I've read that a few times and I just can't fathom it at all.

Probably because they're manky to eat, so the river banks and fishing areas would be covered in dead smelly fish.

Might also effect the ecosystem or something??