Computer Advice

Hi,

Looking to get a new laptop and wanting to get the best for my money. When looking at specs, it all seems very confusing. Anyone able to simply processor types and what's the best? I know the higher the ram, the better.

Cheers

Tom

Hi,

Looking to get a new laptop and wanting to get the best for my money. When looking at specs, it all seems very confusing. Anyone able to simply processor types and what's the best? I know the higher the ram, the better.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom, whoever told you the higher the ram the better was wrong :)

What do you want to use it for and what is your budget? Mobile CPUs by Intel are usually the best but tend to cost a bit more, for budget laptops an AMD CPU could just be the ticket, but it really depends on what you use it for.

Just a few tips for buying a laptop:

A laptop with a bad keyboard and screen is far more frustrating than a laptop that is a bit slower, make sure to check if you like the screen in particular, you can't replace this.

Laptops come in different sizes and these determine what you can get in them. A light mobile unit might cost more for less performance compared to a bulkier desktop replacement - if yours is going to sit on the desk full-time, don't overspend on things like lighter weight.

For modern applications 4Gb RAM is the minimum, but 8Gb is recommended. No need to push to 16Gb unless you are using heavy applications like video-editing and so on.

Most laptops run special dual-core chips, even though they are called i7, they are not comparable to the quad-core i7 in a Desktop, do not let this fool you.

If you want to game on your laptop, good news, it is possible these days. However, you will want a dedicated GPU, these too are different for laptops than for desktops, due to the thermal performance (ie. they can't get too hot in a laptop!)

For good reviews check http://www.tomshardware.com

Cheers for the quick reply. Budget is around 350, I mainly want it for surfing the net, watching videos and listening to music etc. I do have a flight simulator game which I sometimes use. To be honest, I don't really take my laptop anywhere so I may be better getting a desktop computer.

I might have a solution for you, I sent a private message.