Does WD40 really work?

It's excellent for removing sticky labels and the glue residue they leave behind.

Try white spirit instead, not a lingering smell and possibly cheaper.

Exhaust bolts are a pretty tough test for anything.

I have bought a bigger hammer, so I wont know if it was the WD40 or the bigger hammer that made the bolt come out, heres hoping ;)

Who told you that? Man in't pub?

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Water Displacement true and the 40 is the 40th formula that was tried and worked.

The push button flush on our toilet was not working properly and I envisaged having to buy a new flush unit.

An experienced builder advised me to spray it with WD40.

It has worked faultlessly since.

I used a combination of oil and WD40 on removing my bottom ball joint,

Oooo ..... that sounds painful, hope you're alright ! :hihi:

WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant.

Nah, it doesn't dissolve dirt, it just lubricates, and causes more dirt to get stuck to it...

that's why you shouldn't use it for switches and dials (as lots of people do) because as it dries, more dust will get caught and cause it to cake up and clogg...

Seen it numerous times...

I don't need to. You're just wrong.

ok so i am wrong it was a myth!! i had heard it many times about fish oil, i bet you loved pointing it out from your ivory tower????

Water Displacement true and the 40 is the 40th formula that was tried and worked.

I have just used it as a penetrating oil, and getting off stickers; its meant to have lots of uses.

Not sure to what extent displacing water useful, maybe just preventing rust. Grease is recommended for hinges, but I find ordinary oil free them up, not sure about long term.

Perhaps a good use for WD40 would be internal panels on almost new cars, but once rust has started, is it possible to stop it?

Perhaps a good use for WD40 would be internal panels on almost new cars, but once rust has started, is it possible to stop it?

No, it dries fairly quickly, but is good for electrical connections, although care must be taken not to dissolve the lubricating grease that is used inside many types of switches and controls.

Internal box sections on vehicles are usually treated with types of "Waxoyl" which is sprayed in under pressure, the base carrier (turps) dries off leaving a sticky wax coating over the metal.

Internal box sections on vehicles are usually treated with types of "Waxoyl" which is sprayed in under pressure, the base carrier (turps) dries off leaving a sticky wax coating over the metal.

I have just used oil in the past, I like to squirt it when I get the chance, but my cars are usually older, so I cannot say it works, just in theory.

Don't use it inappropriately though, when you just need lubrication. On a mountain bike for example, you don't want to strip away the existing oils and replace them with a really thin solution.