Channel tunnel problems! caused by the illegal migrants.

On what grounds do you think he shouldn't be allowed in to study for his masters?

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 12:20 ----------

How is that relevant to this discussion exactly?

Because it is an example of another event that happened in London and not directly affecting Sheffield.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 13:22 ----------

No, but if you could choose to live in the UK or France ( as indeed you can), what would you do?

Because it's a great place to live?

I'm sure the NHS is a factor. Benefits? Asylum seekers get peanuts and I'm the vast majority aim to work, educate themselves and build a life. And, as I've said, the UK is a pretty great place to live.

I was born in the UK. It's natural for me to choose to live here. If I were an asylum seeker fleeing civil war in Africa however, I'd be inclined to seek refuge at the earliest opportunity. This would not be the UK, or even France. However, if I had the promise of free money (peanuts to you maybe, but a lot to someone in genuine poverty, particularly when sent back home to the wife), free healthcare, free education for my children, I would take the risk and bypass the numerous safe countries to get to the UK.

Maybe we need to reduce the available benefits to asylum seekers to, at best, the same level as other developed EU countries? That way, it wouldn't be such a "great place" for them to try to illegally force their way into.

Edited by WiseOwl182

City of Sanctuary is a movement to build a culture of welcome and hospitality for refugees and asylum-seekers.

In 2007 Sheffield became the UK’s first ‘City of Sanctuary’ for asylum-seekers and refugees—a city that takes pride in the welcome it offers to people in need of safety.

http://sheffield.cityofsanctuary.org/

Don't remember any political party putting it to the electorate of Sheffield in a manifesto that they wanted to establish a "City of Sanctuary".

Our city council never had a mandate to establish it.

Also, our council should not be engaged in funding (using our money) what is effectively political propaganda.

Edited by SevenRivers

I thought an 'immigrant tunnel' had been mooted, jointly run by uk and france.

Maybe someone can shed light on that one?

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 11:19 ----------

Most immigrants stay in south east and london. Its not a northern problem, dont know why sheffieldforum is so worked about it.

They move then north, to avoid paying high housing benefit cost, with the shortage of housing in the south-east

Bec

Maybe we need to reduce the available benefits to asylum seekers to, at best, the same level as other developed EU countries? That way, it wouldn't be such a "great place" for them to try to illegally force their way into.

Do you even know what they are?

Do people in Sheffield not pay the taxes that fund the benefits and services that these bogus asylum seekers are trying to get to? Should we not be worried about the unsustainable increases to the population of our own country? 7/7 was in London, should we not care about that either? In fact, why not just close the General Discussion forum, as obviously we only need the Sheffield one.

So youre saying you are mainly bothered about paying benefits to immigrants? Ok i see.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 13:35 ----------

Given the scale of numbers wanting to come to GB, isn't there a possibility that the south east and London will reach saturation point? Where will be the jobs, the houses? With many ending up sleeping on the streets, won't the councils there then be looking to move the immigrants North? I think it could well become a Northern problem. In fact, it already is because you and I are paying the benefits these people will receive.

Not according to the data. Greater london is pretty big.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 13:40 ----------

They move then north, to avoid paying high housing benefit cost, with the shortage of housing in the south-east

Any numbers? Most settle in south east. We are only talking about a small number of illeagals as a percentage of net migration.

No, but if you could choose to live in the UK or France ( as indeed you can), what would you do?

Because it's a great place to live?

I'm sure the NHS is a factor. Benefits? Asylum seekers get peanuts and I'm the vast majority aim to work, educate themselves and build a life. And, as I've said, the UK is a pretty great place to live.

I would choose to live in the UK of course because this is where I born. The UK may be 'great place to live' but so is France (and other developed EU countries). Why not open our doors and let every migrant that wants a better life come and live in the UK - there's an unlimited supply of money for NHS care, benefits, housing and jobs isn't there after all? Not to mention space - what do we need the countryside for? Let's concrete it all over and build lots of houses until there's no space left. The UK will be an even greater place to live then won't it?

City of Sanctuary is a movement to build a culture of welcome and hospitality for refugees and asylum-seekers.

In 2007 Sheffield became the UK’s first ‘City of Sanctuary’ for asylum-seekers and refugees—a city that takes pride in the welcome it offers to people in need of safety.

http://sheffield.cityofsanctuary.org/

Thats good and sheffield should rightly play a part. South east been a sanctuary for years.

Maybe we will see 50-60% non uk sheffield population in a few years like in slough and milton keynes.

On what grounds do you think he shouldn't be allowed in to study for his masters?

actually most countries he passed through have universities.

A serious question to you. Do you have an upper limit as to how many immigrants should enter the country and how big the population should be? it doesn't seem to me that you do. Its all very well being all goody goody and "let them all in" but don't you realise that there is a housing shortage, a shortage of school places and hospital beds etc etc? and I for one don't want yet more urban sprawl in our green and pleasant land to cope with the increase.

Given the fact that since 1998 net migration into the UK has been around an eye watering 250,000 every year, for me we could afford to cut net migration down to virtually zero for at least 10 years, letting in only highly sought after individuals.

Edited by Hots on

Yes, I provided a link earlier in the thread, plus there's free healthcare and free education.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 14:24 ----------

So youre saying you are mainly bothered about paying benefits to immigrants? Ok i see.

No, I'm saying everyone in this country should be bothered about the crisis, not just those living in the south east. Taxpayers are particularly relevant stakeholders. Don't try to shut down debate because you think we should only be concerned with issues impacting our local area in the short term.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 14:26 ----------

Thats good and sheffield should rightly play a part. South east been a sanctuary for years.

Maybe we will see 50-60% non uk sheffield population in a few years like in slough and milton keynes.

Wouldn't that be brilliant? I for one would be long gone before it gets anywhere near your version of utopia though, so I hope you enjoy it.

Yes, I provided a link earlier in the thread, plus there's free healthcare and free education.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 14:24 ----------

No, I'm saying everyone in this country should be bothered about the crisis, not just those living in the south east. Taxpayers are particularly relevant stakeholders. Don't try to shut down debate because you think we should only be concerned with issues impacting our local area in the short term.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 14:26 ----------

Wouldn't that be brilliant? I for one would be long gone before it gets anywhere near your version of utopia though, so I hope you enjoy it.

Its not a crisis. What have you got against foreigners?

Its not a crisis. What have you got against foreigners?

Oh look its Halibut number 2. More inane rhetorical questions. Great.