Fuel gauge question

Evening,

Could any mechanics answer me a simple question please? as I've heard different stories on this subject.

If I let my fuel gauge get down to near the reserve light then fill the car back up,does this cause long term damage to my car? Eg: sending all the rubbish through the fuel filter/pump and clogging the engine up?

Should a certain amount of petrol be left I the tank before filling up again? I never actually let the light come up but it gets near.

I drive a Vauxhall corsa petrol 1.4

Any advice would be great thanks

Edited by tiger lily
Unfinished post

Fuel filters catch most of the debris.

You usually have a good few litres in the tank when the light comes on so I wouldn't worry.

I always have waited till my tank is nearly empty before filling up, just don't let it run out completely or that will drag rubbish into the filter ( if theres any present) and clog the filter.

Hope this helps.

not a mechanic but when you are driving about and your petrol is sloshing around in your tank while diving on Sheffields super flat roads im sure any crap will be nicely mixing up with your fuel, i think the fuel filter will be doing a fine job so dont worry.

I drive a corsa and only fill up when the light goes on and ive had no problems with it for the last five years.

Thank you for the advice,I never let it get past the red box on the gauge,but wasn't sure if that would be classed as running on empty?

Glad you've mentioned you have a corsa like myself and have never had problems.

Never run out of petrol. I did this a few times, then the car started kangaroo jumping all over the place because the rubbish made it's way through the fuel filter. Expensive job to get all the crap out.

Modern cars are filtered to death now anyway through the sender unit and the fuel filter, running it low wont cause any problems, not if the filter is changed at the recommended service intervals, but as poppet has said don't run it out completely or to the point where its misfiring.

I'd never run it down completely,if I think the lights going to come on I go straight up the petrol station.

My car has a full service every 12 months which should hopefully keep on top of things.

Thanks again for everyone who has posted,it's put my mind at ease ?

In modern cars this isnt a worry anymore as they have plastic tanks and filters that are way more efficient than "days gone by".

Even running out of fuel isnt an issue. Just change the filter and away you go.