Airgun Shooting in urban area

I have a vague memory of reading that legislation, it's in metres these days though I think, and doesn't it depend on direction? On private land, shooting away from the public right of way is acceptable, shooting towards it is not... I'd have to look it up to be sure I was right though.

I do remember concluding that shooting targets in my parents garden as a teenager was probably illegal, as the garden wasn't large enough to not be shooting towards public land or someone elses garden or house.

He may be referring to this bit...

Shooting within 15 metres of a public footpath/highway/bridleway is an offence, if it causes danger.

You should call the police as it is elegal to carry a fire arm in the street if you hadphoned the police straight away the fire arms unit would be traight up there

No it's not - I must do it at least twice a week....

---------- Post added 19-10-2015 at 19:55 ----------

It's illegal to carry it openly.

It's not although this is a common assumption. It's courteous to do so but ther eis nothing in law that requires it.

---------- Post added 19-10-2015 at 19:59 ----------

Shooting within 50ft of a highway, although often quoted, is not, of itself, illegal.

It has to be within 50 feet of the centreline of the highway, and it has to cause someone to be interrupted, or endangered.

Shooting with lawful excuse next to a road to take rabbits, or indeed even for target practice is perfectly legal. (and my shooting clubs firing point is a lot closer than 50ft to the highway - a footpath is a highway remember doesnt have to have vehicles on it...)

In this case it appears someone was interrupted and the shooting was not lawful - ergo it's an offence although it's eclipsed by the myriad other offences that were comitted, the Highways Act wont even get a look in...

Edited by Obelix

So many ill informed people. It should be made elegal..

As should shoddy spelling.

I've got to be honest some of the thickest people i know are air gun owners

Edited by Foxhead
Spelling mistake

As should shoddy spelling.

What would/should the punishment be?

---------- Post added 19-10-2015 at 23:00 ----------

I've got to be honest some of the thickest people i know are air gun owners

That doesn't mean all air gun owners are thick. I thought that was the general point/with the legal aspect to measurements.

How many air gun owners do you know anyway to say that?

I can't think of any people I know who own them :confused: I obviously don't know enough thick people :hihi:

I agree not all air gun owners are thick and I never said they were,but the 4 people I know that own air guns are thick,borderline dense

Which of us are ill informed?

And why should it be made "elegal" ?

I agree not all air gun owners are thick and I never said they were,but the 4 people I know that own air guns are thick,borderline dense

Your only contribution implied it.

Guilt by association... headlines and social media.

:rolleyes:

Blowing holes in coke cans and balloons full of watter

...is that like a rubber container full of electricity?

Well if they are caught and claim to have been shooting coke cans, and water, but miss-aimed and hit a bird it wouldn't surprise me.