Quitting alcohol, has anyone done it?

I'm an ex dipsomaniac. I used to drink so much in a night I would start sleep walking and have no recollection the next day.

I have not had a drink for years and don't regret it. Life is so much more stable and naturally happier.

It wasn't an attack, and I hope you didn't take it that way (I don't think you did).

70 - 80 in a non pint format is still what, 80 shots a week, or between 8 and 10 bottles of wine.

So more than a bottle of wine every day. Or 12 shots a day. That's over a 3rd of a standard bottle of spirits every day!

What is a "shot" ?

Is it what I would call a short or a double ?

Yes, thats correct. Not one size fits all.

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 23:10 ----------

Why do you think otherwise? Do you have medical training?

---------- Post added 23-07-2015 at 23:13 ----------

Weve mentioned the health risks several times. You seem to be saying 80 units per week will effect an 8st female the same as a 16.5 stone bloke?

You might not feel the effects to much, but that doesn't mean there are none. Men tend to suffer the same symptoms eventually (liver problems, nerve damage amongst others), it just tends to take a bit longer than for women. There are other health consequences (addiction, brain damage) that don't seem to be connected to a person's size or sex.

A sure-fire way of telling if you have a problem with drink is if you have a problem not drinking. Please do take this seriously. If you've been drinking at this level for only a few months it might be relatively easy to cut down, you might not even have to give up altogether. If you let it carry on, you'll have a much more serious battle on your hands and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

You might not feel the effects to much, but that doesn't mean there are none. Men tend to suffer the same symptoms eventually (liver problems, nerve damage amongst others), it just tends to take a bit longer than for women. There are other health consequences (addiction, brain damage) that don't seem to be connected to a person's size or sex.

A sure-fire way of telling if you have a problem with drink is if you have a problem not drinking. Please do take this seriously. If you've been drinking at this level for only a few months it might be relatively easy to cut down, you might not even have to give up altogether. If you let it carry on, you'll have a much more serious battle on your hands and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I dont have a problem not drinking. Its been explained earlier in the thread. Never blacked out. I drink socially only, and only in evening. I do have a high tolerance - physically speaking - its not rocket science.

I absolutely agree its not safe levels and thus am cutting down hopefully to stop.

What is a "shot" ?

Is it what I would call a short or a double ?

Yes, a single short, shooter or shot.

I dont have a problem not drinking.

Then why the thread? Surely you'd just stop?

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 10:57 ----------

Its been explained earlier in the thread. Never blacked out. I drink socially only, and only in evening. I do have a high tolerance - physically speaking - its not rocket science.

None of these points make any difference. If you're drinking to the levels you say you are, it's likely to cause problems, not least a physical addiction. Having a high tolerance isn't a good thing, just means you drink more, meaning more likely to become reliant.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 10:58 ----------

I absolutely agree its not safe levels and thus am cutting down hopefully to stop.

I seriously wish you all the best.

I had to. I used to drink at least 6 cans a night and had done for at least 30yrs. I am retired now and just cant afford it. Do I feel better for it? Not really. Is my beer belly going? Not that I can see. Have I saved money? Yes quite a bit.

Then why the thread? Surely you'd just stop?

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 10:57 ----------

None of these points make any difference. If you're drinking to the levels you say you are, it's likely to cause problems, not least a physical addiction. Having a high tolerance isn't a good thing, just means you drink more, meaning more likely to become reliant.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 10:58 ----------

I seriously wish you all the best.

Well thanks...at the risk of repeating myself, im aware of the health risks. its a concern. There has been some good suggestions and appreciated.

I was responding to the earlier posts. I do think the level makes a difference. As in drinking in a controlled way but just too much is different from drinking all tines of day to get drunk and black out. Which is far more dangerous imo.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 11:48 ----------

I had to. I used to drink at least 6 cans a night and had done for at least 30yrs. I am retired now and just cant afford it. Do I feel better for it? Not really. Is my beer belly going? Not that I can see. Have I saved money? Yes quite a bit.

Not healthy. Still safer than binge drinking 40 cans / 30 pints / 6 bottles of wine over a weekend, which is what some people do.

How you getting on dude :)

Had about 30 units so far this week, about 3 btls of wine over 4 days. I have some time off so its been easier to think about and manage. Plan on not drinking on saturday or sunday. Limit tonight. Try and get up sat withiut a hangover and hit gym.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 12:29 ----------

So if i keep to 45 or so. Its a start. Maybe half that nxt week. Increase booze free days to 4.

---------- Post added 24-07-2015 at 12:32 ----------

Weekends are dangerous tho. Must be vigilant.

Had about 30 units so far this week, about 3 btls of wine over 4 days. I have some time off so its been easier to think about and manage. Plan on not drinking on saturday or sunday. Limit tonight. Try and get up sat withiut a hangover and hit gym.

Thanks!

So if i keep to 45 or so. Its a start. Maybe half that nxt week. Increase booze free days to 4.

Well like you said the other day just take it one day at a time :)

Be good :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Although you're drinking over the recommended amount of alcohol it doesn't seem that you're alcohol dependent ... certainly not if you can manage a day or so without. More like a binge drinker if you ask me. Personally, I'd just cut down (as others, and yourself have mentioned) over a period of time.

You can only cut down if you really want to though ... sounds obvious, but is very important.

Good luck with it. :)