Pedigree papers

I bought a new puppy that was advertised as not kc registered but had full pedigree papers. Both parents are kc registered but they didn't register the puppies. When picking up my new puppy I was given photo copies of the parents kc certificate and just the dads pedigree papers but nothing that had my puppy on it. how do I prove that my puppy is actually pedigree or is this now impossible?

:help:

Ask the breeders for a full copy of your pups papers

I already asked the day I picked up my puppy and all I got was "you have copies of the parents papers and the puppy doesn't have his own papers" I thought this sounded odd so that's why I'm here for a bit more information

Some breeders do not register their litters and it sounds as if this is the case here. There are different reasons, for example:

* Cost - they don't want to pay the fee to the Kennel Club.

* Paperwork - they can't, or don't want to complete the paperwork.

* One or both of the parents are not registered with the Kennel Club.

* The limitations on litter registration have been breached e.g. the bitch is too young, too old or has had too many litters.

* Some breeders don't give the KC documents because they don't want their pups to be bred from and they see this as a way of preventing it (it doesn't though). Sometimes they sell the pups cheaper to take account of this. They can put endorsements on the paper and one of these is 'Progeny Not For Registration' to help prevent breeding. That doesn't always work either.

As for your current dilemma, you could perhaps go back and ask them if they have registered the litter with the Kennel Club and if they haven't, ask why. There is nothing else you can do because they were advertised as not KC registered so they have done nothing wrong. You probably just need them to explain things properly.

It shouldn't make any difference to you unless you want to breed from your dog or to enter pedigree dog shows. However, it is a lesson for other would-be pedigree puppy owners to get all the facts and information out into the open before purchase.

The breeder told me that they didn't kc register the puppies because it was an unplanned litter. But they was advertised as coming with pedigree papers showing 5 generations of the family. I did notice that on a photocopy of their female dogs kc certificate that there are 2 endorsements I can't remember the exact wording. So that would probably explain why they are not kc registered

As you probably know, the pedigree papers are different to KC registration although they both show the parentage. I have known breeders not to register a litter that is unplanned, probably for legislation reasons. For instance, the litter might push them over the number allowed before the need for a local authority breeder license.

It's probably best to treat it as a learning experience since there is nothing more that can be done.

Do young have a copy of mums lineage then?

No only have the dads, breeder told me to try and log in onto kennel club website and that I would be able to look it up on that but there is no way I can log onto it because don't have account with kennel club

Do I have this right?:

You have a photocopy of the Kennel Club registration of sire and dam? This should have the Kennel Club logo on the top.

You have a copy of the pedigree chart of the father but not the mother.

Presumably you want to fill in the missing pieces relating to the mother? In view of the fact that you have a copy of the KC registration of both parents you might be able to get the information required but you would probably have to telephone the relevant department at the Kennel Club to ask if it is possible.

Why are you so concerned now when they made it clear in the advertisement that the litter was not registered? Did you see the mother and possibly the father? I am wondering if you are doubting the authenticity of the transaction itself and whether the pup is what/who they said it was. Are you thinking that the pup does not look typical of it's breed? If so, perhaps you could post a link to a picture of him or her?

Nobody can say for sure why this litter wasn't registered (as I said in an earlier post) but the presumption is that there might be some irregularity with the mother, especially as you don't have her pedigree sheet. At a guess this sounds like she may have had too many litters in her lifetime or perhaps she was too young to have the litter registered.

You may want to telephone the Kennel Club but you bought the pup without papers and as far as one can see, there is no irregularity because they were quite open about it in the advertisement. However, you said that they did put full papers in the advertisement so I would assume that to mean that the pedigree form of both sire and dam should have been given to you. If you really want it and they are not complying then you may want to look at whether it is a case for the small claims court but I am not at all sure about this course of action so further expert advice would be needed.

Edited by ccit

Likely that the parents are related, hence them not registering the pups, or the mother was bred on a season directly after another litter. Unless the advert said they come with a 5 Gen KC reg paperwork, then they can give you any old paperwork and say thats the parentage.

Ok, thank you all.

some breeders give pedigree papers out and they are not worth the paper they are written on as they are made up as said above the bitch may have had to many litters or be to young. It is a bit odd that you only have dads side and not mums did you see the mother with the pups before you bough your puppy? You can registrar your pup your self if you have both mum and dads details. Ask the breeder for them again saying you wont to registrar the pup or ring the kennels club and ask there advice.