Bride in a taxi? no photographer? will i regret it??

Hi all, I'm getting married on 1st September, we didn't give ourselves much planning time or a very big budget. The thing is, we have been together for 21 years, been living together for 19 years and didn't want to make a big fuss over getting married. We have only booked the very small service at Sheffield registry office (only 8 guests) purely because we wanted to keep everything small, mainly the costs, although we already went over the budget we had in mind. The plan is to get a taxi together, with the kids to the registry office and no plans have been made for a photographer. BUT everyone who I explain this too, pulls a face, winces and says "ooh I think you're gonna regret it" :( so has anyone else been in the same situation and kept it really small with no fuss? Will I regret getting a taxi in a "wedding dress"? And will I regret not having a photographer?

I don't want to be in debt or be more skint than usual in order to get married, is this not a done thing?

I doubt you'll regret the car. Plenty of brides don't turn up in a limo or horse and carriage, and there is no real bearing on the state of a marriage if you don't arrive in one, is there?

As for the photographer, I think that depends on whether you have any friends who are actually good with a camera. Not having any photos of your wedding would be a little strange in this very visual day and age, but if I was ever to get married again I doubt I'd go all out for a professional photographer. If you wanted to bridge the gap on this one and commemorate the wedding but without the cost of a photographer attending the wedding, how about booking a portrait studio for a set of portraits of your family in your glad rags, which can be taken at any point in the few weeks after the wedding itself?

Well everyone there will have a camera phone lol but yeah two of the guests will be taking cameras so there will probably be an abundance of photos being taken, just not professionally. That's exactly what I thought about the car though, it didn't even occur to me that a taxi wasn't an option but the more people wince at it the more I feel I'm going to feel self conscious getting a taxi in wedding attire :(

A wedding car is a jumped up taxi if you think about it.

As you will be pulling up outside the Town Hall it is not the same as pulling up outside a Church.

mercury have vip cars. You you could ask for an executive car and it might not cost you anything extra. City might have them too. But hey! Black cabs have a fair bit of room.

I think you're doing exactly the right thing. This is your wedding.... do things as you want.

You'll enjoy your day much more knowing that you haven't bankrupted yourselves. As you say, there will be guests taking photo's so a costly professional photographer is an unnecessary expense. As for turning up in a taxi.... I think that's fine. People go totally OTT these days with weddings. Have a really lovely day.

Ahhh thanks for your comments. I feel better now, its a case of each to their own isn't it, I'm not the kind of person, nor is my o/h to feel comfortable with all the bells and whistles etc, its a big deal me wearing a girly dress never mind riding around in a big posh car, I'd feel a bit of a numpty tbh lol

I think your day will be a lot more special by using a taxi. Its different, but no less dignified. Go for it.

One of our most memorable shots from our wedding last year was taken on an iphone...

My daughters wedding at the Town Hall followed her arrival in my car, i was the photographer in the Peace Gardens, and we had a total of 9 people including the B&G.

It was a more memorable day for the right reasons than the 20k previous wedding i paid for.

We got married in the town hall at 3pm on a Saturday in February. I got a black cab with my 2 bridesmaids. My husband to be was staying in Sheffield so he sent a black cab to our house. As we drove into town there was a football match on and people stopped to give thumbs up and to let us through, it was fun and only cost about £10 - there was plenty of room for my dress too!

Well everyone there will have a camera phone lol but yeah two of the guests will be taking cameras so there will probably be an abundance of photos being taken, just not professionally. That's exactly what I thought about the car though, it didn't even occur to me that a taxi wasn't an option but the more people wince at it the more I feel I'm going to feel self conscious getting a taxi in wedding attire :(

Totally agree. Sometimes a professional photographer can get in the way. Guests taking the pictures is totally appropriate for your low-key do, don't listen to the nay-sayers. Have a wonderful day.

Thankyou for all the encouragement, I know all this really, just started doubting myself because of the questioning, not all weddings have to be full blown bells and whistles do they. It seems I started to worry more about what other people think than what I want but I'm back on track now and its all going to plan lol