Atheism the Belief

Atheism ..

The belief there was once absolutely nothing and nothing happened to the nothing until the nothing magically exploded (for no reason) creating everything and everywhere. Then a bunch of the exploded everything magically rearranged itself (for no reason whatsoever), into self-replicating bits which then turned in to dinosaurs .. and they mock your beliefs !!

I'm an atheist and that isn't what I believe.

Theist.

The belief there was once absolutely nothing and an imagined entity created everything that exists form the nothingness.

A more believable theory is that there was always something and the something changes over time, much like everything that exists today. I exist but once I didn't but everything that allows me to exist existed before I existed and will still exist after I no longer exist.

Yay, it is one of these threads again!

I like dinosaurs by the way, I assume you think they didn't exist Dyke, considering how the world was created 4000 years ago.

Atheism ..

The belief there was once absolutely nothing and nothing happened to the nothing until the nothing magically exploded (for no reason) creating everything and everywhere. Then a bunch of the exploded everything magically rearranged itself (for no reason whatsoever), into self-replicating bits which then turned in to dinosaurs .. and they mock your beliefs !!

You appear to make mistaken Atheism for the scientific theories of The Big Bang and Evolution.

And you wonder why you are mocked?

Yay, it is one of these threads again!

I like dinosaurs by the way, I assume you think they didn't exist Dyke, considering how the world was created 4000 years ago.

If dinosaurs are supposed to be extinct...

... how come we get so many on the forum? :huh:

If dinosaurs are supposed to be extinct...

... how come we get so many on the forum? :huh:

I have often wondered the same, but then I realised ye Lorde provideth. He has instilled the spirit of dinosaurs into Sheffieldforum users.

So:

There was once an entity, highly complex, which had no origin.

This entity, by an act of its will, created the universe, the entity itself having no creator.

The entity's origin is unknowable.

The entity remains, and can act on our environment and our lives.

I don't believe all this; but that is the "God" theory.

It has the "strongest possible evidence":

Long ago, men told tales of the entity, and wrote them in several books.

The leaders of the belief now fight each other over the details of their various stories.

"Our belief must be the true one, because we can kill those who differ from us"

Do you really believe this nonsense?

.. and they mock your beliefs !!

Feeling hard done by are you?

As an atheist it's quite unsettling to see the discombobulation my personal worldview inspires in certain individuals of a religious persuasion.

I'm not used to producing this kind of reaction. Laughter and/or pity are the more usual responses I tend to evoke in others.

Anyhoo, first of all the Theory of Evolution is considered to be a scientific fact. See here for the explanation of the scientific use of the word "theory" as opposed to the one used by ill-educated cretins simple folk.

As for the origin of the universe, well of course science doesn't have all the answers. In all probability it never will. But as Dara Ó Briain once said "science knows it doesn't know everything; otherwise, it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you."

So at least science is asking the right questions. Or indeed, asking questions at all. Which is a step up from people who believe that all the answers were provided 2000 years ago.

For example, in Joshua 10:13 it says:

So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies

Now the moon could stop in the sky (I'll ignore the gravitational effects this would produce) as it orbits the earth, but the sun?

HINT: The sun doesn't move across the sky, it's the earth that moves on its axis. But the people who wrote the Bible clearly didn't know this.

Perhaps the OP considers the work of Copernicus to be "only a theory" and that we should return to the earth centered universe of Aristotle and Ptolemy?

Atheism ..

No, you've got it all wrong. Atheism is just a lack of belief in sky fairies.

Atheists don't claim to know how the universe came into being. The big bang theory is just an explanation that best fits what we can observe.

It's not upsetting to see someone atheism mocked, as it's not a faith. All your attempt at mockery highlights is a lack of knowledge and/or thought.

---------- Post added 19-07-2015 at 10:20 ----------

I have often wondered the same, but then I realised ye Lorde provideth. He has instilled the spirit of dinosaurs into Sheffieldforum users.

That's pretty funny :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 19-07-2015 at 10:22 ----------

So:

There was once an entity, highly complex, which had no origin.

This entity, by an act of its will, created the universe, the entity itself having no creator.

The entity's origin is unknowable.

The entity remains, and can act on our environment and our lives.

I don't believe all this; but that is the "God" theory.

It has the "strongest possible evidence":

Long ago, men told tales of the entity, and wrote them in several books.

The leaders of the belief now fight each other over the details of their various stories.

"Our belief must be the true one, because we can kill those who differ from us"

Do you really believe this nonsense?

Don't forget all the non abrahamic religions. Christianity isn't even the most popular fairy tale...

And there are the ones from the past, does anyone still believe in the Greek or Roman gods? How about Odin and Thor, I've seen them in the cinema...

Atheism ..

I find the scenario above equally implausible to the scenario of an omnipotent creator God, but I tend to believe it rather more.

I find the scenario above equally implausible to the scenario of an omnipotent creator God, but I tend to believe it rather more.

I tend not to observe both as some comparable yardstick. I could of course burn in hell for that observation come the day.

Out of curiosity from the 'believers'. At what point of the day of reckoning does the reckoning take place? Before death, moment of death, or after death?

Edited by cassity

I have the same lack of beleif in God as I do in a teapot that is orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars.

If you are going to quote the Bible btw can we have chapter and verse it makes it easier to look it up to rip you to shreds.

Its Roman Scripture but before you look, you need to clam down .. The OP i wrote is not even my words, i just found it and posted it here and then quoted from the New Testament .. but yes i believe in God but why is it when someone says they believe in God, people automatically assume the God in the Bible .. No i don't believe the God in the bible, i believe in my own God, which i wrote earlier, i think of it as an invisible force, not the nonsense in, say the Old Testament ... and to that person who said do i believe the Earth to be only 4000 years old .. No i don't .. I believe it to be 5 billions years old like they say

, i believe in my own God, which i wrote earlier, i think of it as an invisible force,

,not the nonsense in, say the Old Testament ...

One in the same really unless you're able to go further convincingly with the "invisible force" thingy.