Wildlife camera: any advice?

There seems to be loads of different ones. Anybody bought one, or can recommend a particular model? I don't want to spend a fortune!

Unfortunately it is not possible to take photos like the ones you will see in RSPB magazine etc without spending a fortune. I have a pro camera and a 400mm zoom f4-f5.6 SIGMA lens but you still need to get quite close and have good light for a sharp action shot of a small bird. Not great from the average bird hide.

Best advice is to get a DSLR with the highest ISO rating you can afford (i.e. so you can use a highish ISO without the image being grainy) together with the best long zoom lens in your budget. (You need high ISO if you you are using a fast shutter speed for a moving object and the light is not great.) And maybe a sturdy tripod depending on what you are doing.

Thanks! No, I meant the stand-alone self-contained digital things with day and night vision that record when movement is detected. Set up, then leave! (Google wildlife cameras)

Thanks! No, I meant the stand-alone self-contained digital things with day and night vision that record when movement is detected. Set up, then leave! (Google wildlife cameras)

Aldi and Lidl sometimes have them in and they are excellent spec for the price, less than half what you would pay from a camera shop.

To be honest, don't bother.

They aren't very good at all unless your willing to pay £300+.

I've tried a few and all you get is grainy B&W pictures normally of the back end of the subject or the top of their head.

If its at home you would be better having CCTV fitted.

Nothing beats sitting up with a proper camera waiting quietly and capturing the subject live. That's what I do and get some amazing results.

https://www.facebook.com/lardysgarden

Superb pics. Where abouts in Sheffield are you then? When we lived in Greystones, we even had foxes that would enter the cellar if the door was left open!

I'm at Richmond, we get a great variety of wildlife night and day, its just a case of keeping an eye open.

Get a cheap DSLR and trigger it with a motion detector, there are plenty of them to choose from.

I have a few cameras but i bought a nikon p900 They're £500 has a built in lens that ranges from 18mm up to the equivalent of 2000mm Its fantastic for getting close to wildlife. I know its a bit pricey but if i were to buy a lens with this capabilities for my canon 70d it would be thousands. heres a video with some sample photos i did