Is it as good as it used to be?.

Years ago it was regarded as being amongst the best water you could draw from a tap.

Today------ mmmmmmm- not sure if things like maybe flouride or other chemicals have downgraded its once sweet quality??.:confused:

Our council don't add Fluoride to the drinking water.

Our council don't add Fluoride to the drinking water.

Good jod as Yorkshire Water wouldn't be pleased! ;)

It depends which part of Sheffield you are in..... Redmires water was always crystal clear but Langsett used to be yellow most of the time due to the peat bogs

I think (maybe someone with first hand knowledge can confirm either way) that local water used to be mildly acidic. It is now more normal for treatment works to dose with lime (or some other alkali) just before putting the water out into the network. This is to reduce the risk of corrosion of old mains (eg lead). Even though the final version is alkaline, it is sometimes kept acidic during the treatment process.

As an aside, I know of one water treatment works (not local), where the incoming river water is dosed with acid to prevent the growth of zebra mussels within the works. This is done because otherwise the mussels (which require calcium in the water for shell formation) will sit in the incoming water as it flows past and grow and grow with the continuous nutrient rich flow passing them. The treatment is kept slightly acidic through the treatment, and then corrected at the end of the process before the water goes into distribution. I think this is quite common in treatment works where zebra mussels are a problem.

I thought we were all just drinking others people cleaned pee & poop

I think we get quite alot from the Peaks actually, although the waste is treated IIRC.

The big Poo farm by the M1 viaduct does a fair bit doesn't it??

well if you do a search you can find a report on the quality of water in your particular area, I downloaded one for mine a while ago to check if would be ok to use on my orchids. seems fine except when they have burst mains and have to flush it with chlorine.

After you've tasted water from other places, ours is absolutely lovely and it really quenches your thirst.

Most of the water for the whole of Sheffield comes from the River Derwent at Elvington near York.

Rivelin/Redmires and Hoober are the main purification plant and storage areas.

No water is taken from Ladybower but can be taken from Howden and Derwent(the tunnel is from the plant above Ladybower dam to Rivelin).

Many of the upper Don reservoirs are used to control the flow of the Don.

pH is now above 7 as mineral rich acidic water is regarded as unhealthy and adds more costs.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I dont really like tap water and neither does my cat but i cant afford for both of us to drink mineral water.