Parents skip meals so as kids can eat.

Angel Fire,

You know,of course, that you go blind and mad if you eat a pheasant that's been killed out of season (Oct 1st to 1st Feb)

in the city markets give away masses of veg for very little at the end of the day. same some supermarkets. you can get absolute bargains, really healthy cuts of meat and offal like liver which is high in nutrients and costs pennies - nothing wrong with it. Ive even seen things just growing in the wild! garlic flowers, berries, herbs...loads of stuff to forage if you care to find out.

its a bit of extra work to shop often and search for stuff, and maybe thats why it puts some people off - they think the world owes them a living.

when i see idiots smoking 40 fags a day and then moaning about being skint or cant give their kids healthy food. Sorry no sympathy. your just lazy. plain as.

I agree. My OH visits local supermarkets at the end of the day and gets some real bargains. We eat very well for very little.

It just takes some effort and a little thought tbh.

I lived on a low income most of life, I learnt to be canny when buying food. When Castle Market was trading I used to time my visit's has traders were about to close. I used to buy bread for two loaves for 50p, pies two for a pound. Instead of buying expensive meats brought offal for next to nothing. I don't live in Sheffield now so I don't know if the new Moor Market has such closing time deals. Were I live now its possible to grow a few veg and fruit I'm lucky that I can do that. Food buying takes most of our money so always best to look for deals people seem to buy everything in one place and often miss out on money saving offers.

I agree. My OH visits local supermarkets at the end of the day and gets some real bargains. We eat very well for very little.

It just takes some effort and a little thought tbh.

for sure daven. food is plentiful and cheap!

We are hurtling back to the 1930's maybe the 1830's and most people seem sanguine about it, the ones who are hurt the most don't seem to have the resources to challenge it all.

A agree. But when I say it I'm called 'negative' and a 'miserable cow.'

But unless people grasp what is happening they won't change it.

The economic crash has brought about a seismic shift in living standards yet some people still can't see it.

A agree. But when I say it I'm called 'negative' and a 'miserable cow.'

But unless people grasp what is happening they won't change it.

The economic crash has brought about a seismic shift in living standards yet some people still can't see it.

No we are not. The 1930s poor couldn't afford food. These folk can afford TVs Ipods fags and booze and chose not to spend it on food there is a difference.

No we are not. The 1930s poor couldn't afford food. These folk can afford TVs Ipods fags and booze and chose not to spend it on food there is a difference.

The crash is a mere 7 years old. People had tv's etc. before the crash.

Smoking has dropped dramatically and pubs are shutting all over the place, so what is your statement based on?

Deprivation is working its way through the system. The old and the ill are feeling the brunt of it first, but most people are not old and ill, so won't be experiencing it. Yet.

I understand 3 things:

living standards on the whole have risen

expectations have grown too

definition of poverty has changed, its no longer about survival, rather acceptable living standards

i think on the whole many people just want to get on in life, its a tiny minority milk the system. probably a tiny fraction of long term unemployed want to be unemployed and unemployable.

---------- Post added 18-07-2015 at 14:31 ----------

what are the Greeks gonna eat?

meat-less gyros and kebabs?

Poverty is political.

Look at Africa. For years we believed starvation etc was down to drought and poor harvests. Yet they can build pipelines across the desert to fuel fancy fountains in Las Vegas, but not to bring clean drinking water to Africans and for irrigation projects.

Africa is rich in natural resources and should be well able to afford such projects, but many of the resources are owned by large foreign corporations thanks to land grabs, empire building, and corrupt deals.

The point I am making is poverty can happen anywhere. It all depends on politics and political will. We are being conned into voting for our own destruction.

Poverty is political.

Look at Africa. For years we believed starvation etc was down to drought and poor harvests. Yet they can build pipelines across the desert to fuel fancy fountains in Las Vegas, but not to bring clean drinking water to Africans and for irrigation projects.

Africa is rich in natural resources and should be well able to afford such projects, but many of the resources are owned by large foreign corporations thanks to land grabs, empire building, and corrupt deals.

The point I am making is poverty can happen anywhere. It all depends on politics and political will. We are being conned into voting for our own destruction.

Hold your horses Anna, you are galloping before walking.

Africa's poverty was indeed political, due to the complete inability of those in charge to rule themselves fairly and just. But using that as a rod to hit politicians does not make any sense and you point to that inadvertently. How come Las Vegas can have water? It is rather simple: The United States, which are entirely capitalist and always have been, are rich and not corrupt.

So either you use the Africa statement to say something about corruption (which is very low here) or you use the America statement to say something about the joys of capitalism, but you can't bolt the two together and produce an argument from them.

Simple fact in this day and age: Nobody has to be hungry in the UK. Harsh bu true: We could live of a loaf of bread a week for quite a long time.

Hold your horses Anna, you are galloping before walking.

Africa's poverty was indeed political, due to the complete inability of those in charge to rule themselves fairly and just. But using that as a rod to hit politicians does not make any sense and you point to that inadvertently. How come Las Vegas can have water? It is rather simple: The United States, which are entirely capitalist and always have been, are rich and not corrupt.

So either you use the Africa statement to say something about corruption (which is very low here) or you use the America statement to say something about the joys of capitalism, but you can't bolt the two together and produce an argument from them.

Simple fact in this day and age: Nobody has to be hungry in the UK. Harsh bu true: We could live of a loaf of bread a week for quite a long time.

What makes you think we are not corrupt?

How would you know anyway, considering the capitalist heirarchy control the media? The expenses scandal was a bit of a shock wasn't it? The establishment have been trying to curb the press ever since.