Another new pub coming to Ecclesall Road - The Portland House

So, where is it again? ;)

It is on the same side as Nursery Tavern pub a few shops up.

You cannot miss it, it has a big Portland House sign.

Anyone been in yet?

Saw a few photos on FB that looked alright and I think I spotted some Wild Beer on keg.

Anyone been in yet?

Saw a few photos on FB that looked alright and I think I spotted some Wild Beer on keg.

Yes, nice place, quite modern in style, handpumps with various Welbeck beers plus a couple of guests including Arbor Half Day IPA. Reasonable keg range, quite interesting gin selection too.

I went last night and it is what it is.... a pub in a shop.

Had the usual Welbeck ales which I like and some guest ones, nice to sit in a pub and not having music blaring in your ears.

Nice place and definitely one to add to my Eccy Road pub walk :)

I wonder if more micropubs will appear on Eccy Road, plenty of empty shops.

Went in on Saturday lunchtime. It was VERY quiet (I was the only customer in and the barman kept scuttling off to the office).

6 cask ales (4 of which were from Welbeck Abbey) and a couple of decent keg beers. I do think they could do with some more toilet facilities.

Overall it's OK.

Went in on Saturday lunchtime. It was VERY quiet (I was the only customer in and the barman kept scuttling off to the office).

6 cask ales (4 of which were from Welbeck Abbey) and a couple of decent keg beers. I do think they could do with some more toilet facilities.

Overall it's OK.

Really? I went in about 3pm and it was quite busy. i liked it actually. One of the better examples of a micropub.

BTW when did Graze bar become Cowshed? Have they leased it out? It's much better. Much more cosy. Same beer offering too. So Portland / Cowshed / Craft & Dough made a nice little beer triangle.

I was in about 5:30, was fairly busy then. I quite like it too - enjoyed the 5.5% IPA, the name of which escapes me.

Went in the Nursery Tavern afterwards for the first time in years. Pint on Moonshine on-form, venue not so much.

I was in about 5:30, was fairly busy then. I quite like it too - enjoyed the 5.5% IPA, the name of which escapes me.

Went in the Nursery Tavern afterwards for the first time in years. Pint on Moonshine on-form, venue not so much.

Nightingale IPA. It was a 'nice' beer. Nothing special. Just 'nice'. What passes for a session beer to me these days. I upped the game with a bottle of '<removed> Art, this is Architecture' in Craft and Dough and finished with a 'Molotov Lite' in the Rutland. Was a good day :)

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

I`ve enjoyed the North Riding stuff on at 3 Tuns & Beer Engine this weekend. Also the Mikeller at Shakey`s. Not been on Eccy Road for a long time TBH.

I`ve enjoyed the North Riding stuff on at 3 Tuns & Beer Engine this weekend. Also the Mikeller at Shakey`s. Not been on Eccy Road for a long time TBH.

North Riding definitely upped there game moving from BrewPub to full Brewery but it's still just nice traditional stuff. The Danish brewers are producing some top-notch stuff at the moment tho. Hence the reason I'm off to Copenhagen in Feb. :0)

Nightingale IPA. It was a 'nice' beer. Nothing special. Just 'nice'. What passes for a session beer to me these days. I upped the game with a bottle of '<removed|> Art, this is Architecture' in Craft and Dough and finished with a 'Molotov Lite' in the Rutland. Was a good day :)

I liked Nightingale IPA. Let me put it this way, I've had far worse beers made with fashionable hops.

The Arbor "Rosie Bomb" was very nice, but I couldn't help but wonder if it would have been better on cask.

P.S. Typical isn't it that everyone else from this forum turns up after I'd left! :wink:

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

I liked Nightingale IPA. Let me put it this way, I've had far worse beers made with fashionable hops.

The Arbor "Rosie Bomb" was very nice, but I couldn't help but wonder if it would have been better on cask.

P.S. Typical isn't it that everyone else from this forum turns up after I'd left! :wink:

LOL. Don't take it personally mate! ;)

Rosie Bomb was OK - bit dry. Chiron across the road in Cowshed much better, cheaper too. I'm sorry I do like my 'fashionable' hops. Had a Black Sheep Shearer in a local pub the other week. Claimed it was a Citra Pale. Well there may have been a bag of citra hops in the same room but I don't think many actually made it into the beer. Fortunatelty the pub around the corner had Oakham Citra on so all wa well in the end.