Another new pub coming to Ecclesall Road - The Portland House

The one near Hunters Bar seems to do well with passing teatime trade at the minute.

The one in Chesterfield has established itself as well.

I imagine the rents on Ecclesall Road would be pretty hefty so I'd expect Welbeck Abbey to have done their homework and they won't be running it as a hobby.

To be run by Welbeck Abbey brewery.

Nice beers and nice people.

Dunno about the people but the beers are no better than 'ok'.

Will be worth popping in if in the area tho.

Dunno about the people but the beers are no better than 'ok'.

Will be worth popping in if in the area tho.

I really like a few of their regular beers like Cavendish & Red Feather. Very nice, even if they aren't exactly the most cutting edge beers out there.

Although I have to admit that I don't have much interest in their seasonal beers.

Wellbecks beers, in my experience, are, at very best, average. They'll have to get a really good guest lineup on to get me in there

Brewery news item linked to in the OP

Here at Welbeck Abbey Brewery we’re elated to announce that our first pub ‘The Portland House’ is currently being planned, prepped and polished ready for opening in August.

Situated on Ecclesall Road in Sheffield, our little boozer will be entirely dedicated to ethically sourced food and drink with provenance; a fine balance between the heritage that comes with being part of the Welbeck Estate and the contemporary, industrial style that is synonymous with Sheffield.

Heading up our newest venture will be no other than esteemed General Manager Tom Purcell previously of the University Arms, Sheffield.

On the bar you’ll find a selection of Welbeck Abbey beer and also guest ales that we source from fellow brewers’ far and wide. With 6 hand-pulls, a selection of continental keg products plus lots of delicious spirits, wine and bottled beer we believe there really will be something for everyone.

We’re very proud of our newest venture and we invite you all to come and visit us upon opening.

Brewery news item linked to in the OP

Here at Welbeck Abbey Brewery we’re elated to announce that our first pub ‘The Portland House’ is currently being planned, prepped and polished ready for opening in August.

Situated on Ecclesall Road in Sheffield, our little boozer will be entirely dedicated to ethically sourced food and drink with provenance; a fine balance between the heritage that comes with being part of the Welbeck Estate and the contemporary, industrial style that is synonymous with Sheffield.

Heading up our newest venture will be no other than esteemed General Manager Tom Purcell previously of the University Arms, Sheffield.

On the bar you’ll find a selection of Welbeck Abbey beer and also guest ales that we source from fellow brewers’ far and wide. With 6 hand-pulls, a selection of continental keg products plus lots of delicious spirits, wine and bottled beer we believe there really will be something for everyone.

We’re very proud of our newest venture and we invite you all to come and visit us upon opening.

Tom knows his stuff, keeps a very good cellar, so I doubt any bad ale will be sold. Not tried too many Wellbeck beers but if Tom is involved then I will be going in for a few jars!

Tom knows his stuff, keeps a very good cellar, so I doubt any bad ale will be sold. Not tried too many Wellbeck beers but if Tom is involved then I will be going in for a few jars!

Absolutely agree - he will make sure that whatever beers are sold will be in good condition. Looking forward to trying a few with you :)

Micropubs are springing up all over. be interesting to monitor how it does in this location

Micropubs are springing up all over. be interesting to monitor how it does in this location

Presumably, as a tarot card professional, you already know how well it will do.....:)

Wellbecks beers, in my experience, are, at very best, average. They'll have to get a really good guest lineup on to get me in there

Indeed they are. I'd probably rather go without. However Eccie Road isn't exactly known for attracting discerning drinkers so it should do just fine.

Indeed they are. I'd probably rather go without. However Eccie Road isn't exactly known for attracting discerning drinkers so it should do just fine.

Good point. Abbeydale / Heeley / Meersbrook are much more `discerning` now. Only had a couple of Wellbeck beers years ago and judged them as bland and never bothered again. Sounds like I was about right.