Should doctors work at the weekend?

Should doctors work at the weekend?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should doctors work at the weekend?

• Yes
    • No

Do they work a full shift or are they just on call? or is it just that he wants the ones that are opting out of doing it to take their turn and maybe work a weekend shift every few weeks

It depends upon the workload and the roles. There will be some doctors working, with others being on call if needed.

Then what, exactly, are you trying to say?

So you were lying when you said:-

Lol.. yeah, right.

oh stop trying to be clever...its beyond your capabilities:hihi:

oh stop trying to be clever...its beyond your capabilities:hihi:

Good at spotting liars though, aren't I ;)

So in translation.... you've got no idea what you're trying to say, and the justification for what you already said was based on a lie!

Well done! Only 3 pages to entirely discredit yourself.

Edited by Magilla

We get ill 24/7 so we should have medics 24/7.

Is he calling for all doctors to work weekends or just to have coverage in hospitals in case of emergency on a rota system or something? Is it just Consultants ?

It does seem unclear at present

"15% more likely to die at the weekend"

Aren't they very good doctors on Saturday and Sunday?

The 15% figure is meaningless without some sort of context that the deaths were occurring.

What's going on today has everyone lost the ability to find things out for themselves?

Look it up.

15% of something small is potentially numerically insignificant but the number is statistically sound and consistent so it can be considered to be reliable in the context we're using. From the study you'll see that about a hundred extra people die every week. Where do you want to draw the line before proper medical care is available 24/7?

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 15:48 ----------

If it helps you score a point I can point you to a US study that shows that cardiac related deaths are lower when the consultants are at their annual conference instead of in the hospital. ;)

Edited by Eric Arthur

I don't understand your point LOOB
You said, in relation to the proposal to extend availability of NHS doctors from 5 to 7 days, that "businesses do what their customers demand, not the other way around".

I'm asking you where are you going to take your business, if NHS doctors don't give you the 7 day service you demand?

It's a rethorical question: other than going to a private surgery opened 7/7 (and paying for the privilege, lots because there aren't that many around, and fewer still that do 7/7), you can't.

For the elementarily simple reason that the NHS, state-financed as it is to be provided free healthcare at the point of delivery, is not "a business". It's a public service with a finite budget to pay for finite resources in delivering its services with best endeavours.

Now, about those magic beans to pay for the extra 40% staffing requirements...care to make a suggestion?

Good at spotting liars though, aren't I ;)

So in translation.... you've got no idea what you're trying to say, and the justification for what you already said was based on a lie!

Well done! Only 3 pages to entirely discredit yourself.

if you say so now keep taking the tablets:roll:

JFKvsNixon called it a business, not me.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11086540&postcount=36

I'll use your rhetoric back at you too if you like. ;) Where do you get 40% from? Is it 1/5*2=weekend or just hyperbole?

Once more you miss the context, the post I replied to was talking about executives in corporate positions.

Teachers regularly go into their schools during holidays to prepare...... it doesn't magically get done on it's own. I know first hand because both my daughter and daughter in law are teachers.

Maybe they can't manage their workloads then. My partners sister is a teacher and her husband a principle English teacher. I can assure you their holidays are cram packed with activities. He even manages to play in a band at weekends, sometimes midweek.

Going into school whilst on holiday? Never.