Should doctors work at the weekend?

Should doctors work at the weekend?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should doctors work at the weekend?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think a general rule for GP's would work. GP's need to look at their waiting times, patient list and work load to see if their hours need extending. It gets annoying at my surgery when they say "we can get you in, in 10 days" this is the same surgery that still closes half day on Thursday! Maybe if they are that busy, closing half days isn't the best idea.

As for hospitals. I think better staffing at weekends is needed but as mentioned on the news today, not much point in loads of doctors if there isn't enough nurses and other support services.

GP's certainly should.

It's bloody impossible to get an appointment at a GP's.

GP's certainly should.

Not all GPs. Mine open in the evening, and it's unusual not to get an appointment on the same day if your ring early. Can you change GPs?

of course they should work some weekends like the rest of the national health service, why should GPs be exempt? a simple rota system would ensure fairness, this would free up A&E depts which some use as a doctors surgery.

A dumb poll. I could have predicted the result before you made it. It's obvious that most people will think there should be access to a Dr 24/7, the problem is where are these doctors going to come from, or are you suggesting our current crop should work 7 days a week?

If not, then surely a "spread" of current available hours will just deteriorate the service during the week, and improve at weekends. Fairer, perhaps, but is that an improvement?

Where's the "We need to train/recruit/pay more" for a 24/7 service option?

I didn't vote in the poll, since the poll is meaningless.

A dumb poll. I could have predicted the result before you made it. It's obvious that most people will think there should be access to a Dr 24/7, the problem is where are these doctors going to come from, or are you suggesting our current crop should work 7 days a week?

If not, then surely a "spread" of current available hours will just deteriorate the service during the week, and improve at weekends. Fairer, perhaps, but is that an improvement?

Where's the "We need to train/recruit/pay more" for a 24/7 service option?

I didn't vote in the poll, since the poll is meaningless.

in the 21st century pretty much everything is available 24/7 so why not doctors, why not work 6 days like most people do twice a month? people making excuses is an easy option . doctors get paid a good salary so should be flexible and by the way if the population of this country had not expanded so massively in recent years the overcrowding at doctors would be less.

i work 7 days most weeks in one way or another!

GP's certainly should.

Except when they've tried it, the services are under utilised at the weekend.

And of course without more doctors they can't open more hours, and more doctors costs more.

Except when they've tried it, the services are under utilised at the weekend.

And of course without more doctors they can't open more hours, and more doctors costs more.

Where they've tried it did they actually bother to let people know they were open though??

Kinda like when the night bus shut operations in Sheffield last year, everyone's response was:

"There's a night bus???"

in the 21st century pretty much everything is available 24/7 so why not doctors, why not work 6 days like most people do twice a month? people making excuses is an easy option . doctors get paid a good salary so should be flexible and by the way if the population of this country had not expanded so massively in recent years the overcrowding at doctors would be less.

Most people don't work 6 days a week.

Does working 6 days a week, twice a month equate to a 40% increase in hours?

Cool, you happy to have the tired Doctor while I take the refreshed one?

Don't we all in "one way or another", that doesn't mean it should be something to aspire to.

Nobody is asking doctors to work 7 days a week, but just to participate in rotas that provide 7 days a week cover, which considering people get ill 7 days a week, seems like a perfectly good idea to me.

Many professions have to cover 7 days a week, and it is an obligation that should simply be accepted as a matter of course in this case.

Whether we have enough doctors or enough finances to fulfill this obligation however, is another matter, but that is a problem for the politicians.

Re bib. This is the key, in my opinion.

People who get ill and need treating need an adequate quality of expertise there and then, so for them there should be 24/7 high level expertise. As I see it, this should apply to A & E situations. I'd assumed it did already. Also, the news article appears to specifically exclude emergencies, which made me assume that was already in place.

Similarly, people who are already under close care in hospital and who may deteriorate in a specific condition if not properly assessed on a regular or continuous basis should, in my opinion, have high level cover continuously available.

However, planned activities that can wait a few days can be planned to take place Monday to Friday, if we wish. There would be no additional risk to the patient by working a 5 day week. So for that reason, I don't see any need fore 24/7 operation. However, if a major part of the cost is related to the building and facilities, not the doctors, then there may be worthwhile financial benefits in working the facilities harder. For example, If a theatre for a particular operation costs say £10m for each year it is available, and the doctors and staff for a day shift cost £5m for the 250 x 8 hour shifts per year, (total cost £15m),then if we had a night shift as well, we could double the number of patients treated for just £5m more.

Also I assume that the news item excluded GPs.

It was just on the news that doctors have been given 6 weeks to agree with the government. If they don't agree they government will impose 7 day doctoring anyway.

The poll has 95% in favour of doctors working weekends. Jeremy Hunt is on to a winner.