Should doctors work at the weekend?

Should doctors work at the weekend?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should doctors work at the weekend?

• Yes
    • No

So how can you now make 7 slices out of the 5 slices, when the slices have to remain the same size?

It's simple. Really really simple. So incredibly simple I can't believe that you're not actually trolling.

the slices don't have to remain the same size. Those resources are just ingredients in the whole pie and they are sliced accordingly over 7 days instead of 5. The size of the slice would matter if there were only five operating theatres and teams in the entire NHS but we know that there are literally hundreds / thousands doing nothing every weekend.

You have to be trolling if you keep on pretending not to accept this incredibly simple point.

And as if to prove the troll, from the mouth of the very same babes, here we have the answer to why we need a 7 day NHS.

You're mistaken if you believe that there are the same amount of theatre staff around on the weekend as there are during the week.

The same applies to staffing on the wards to a large extent.

Certainly senior nursing staff are less prevalent at weekends and on bank holidays.

It's simple. Really really simple. So incredibly simple I can't believe that you're not actually trolling.

the slices don't have to remain the same size. Those resources are just ingredients in the whole pie and they are sliced accordingly over 7 days instead of 5. The size of the slice would matter if there were only five operating theatres and teams in the entire NHS but we know that there are literally hundreds / thousands doing nothing every weekend.

You have to be trolling if you keep on pretending not to accept this incredibly simple point.

And as if to prove the troll, from the mouth of the very same babes, here we have the answer to why we need a 7 day NHS.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Those of us who do who have tried and tried to explain how things work to you over and over again and yet still you fail to grasp the basics.

Either you are intellectualy challenged, which you can't help, or you are deliberately trolling to draw attention to yourself. If it is the latter then you have succeeded but not in a good way.

You are making yourself look very silly.

Take some time now to reread all the posts of this thread and you will find the answers to all the questions you ask over and over again within the text.

Regards.

And yet I think that you can't even handle the simplest of ideas, prefering to resort to an assumed knowledge because you happen to be a nurse.The truth is that you are blinded by your own conceit. That conceit is what is killing 11, 000 people every year.

It doesn't matter what I say though because NHS itself disagrees with you. You should reflect on your dangerous intransigence to change, because it is killing people.

Your opinion isn't worth a single life.

The NHS medical staff are in complete agreement with Daven.

Perhaps you're referring to the department of health staff. We can't check with them off course, because they only work 9 - 5, Mon - Fri.

And yet I think that you can't even handle the simplest of ideas, prefering to resort to an assumed knowledge because you happen to be a nurse.The truth is that you are blinded by your own conceit. That conceit is what is killing 11, 000 people every year.

It doesn't matter what I say though because NHS itself disagrees with you. You should reflect on your dangerous intransigence to change, because it is killing people.

Your opinion isn't worth a single life.

Once again you're either quoting in ignorance or you're happy to scaremonger in order to score cheap political points.

Are you aware that the paper that put forward the 11 thousand figure also started that you are less likely to die in hospital at the the weekend then during the week?

I heard on this morning's news that in the pilot areas where weekend GP services are in operation, they are having to be scaled back due to lack of public demand.

The Doctors do work weekends , as someone said , not as many , but they do . We always have a Consultant on for the weekend , then a SPR , SHO & A FY1 . Yes the FY1 , is busy at weekends and they have to prioritise their work load & we as Nurses help out with things we can do & that is taking blood , inserting venflons , things we are trained to do . Its not ideal but we have to just learn to adjust in this day & age & work as a team :)

I heard on this morning's news that in the pilot areas where weekend GP services are in operation, they are having to be scaled back due to lack of public demand.

I'd heard that before. Some even stopped the service because people don't want to go to the GP at the weekend.

might be a bit off topic but what i find annoying about trying to see a doctor at my medical centres is, its nearly impossible to get an appointment when you are working full time, my centre wont let you make an appointment for a specific day, say next week, i have to ring at 8.30 on the morning but when i do they are fully booked ??? how ? when i managed to get in last time it was full of pensioners and unemployed who can go anytime, really makes me feel like packing in work and playing the system. so yes doctors should work weekends on a rotor system like a lot of us do and maybe i would get an appointment on my day off

They shouldn't be denying you future appointments, on the day appointments are different to scheduled ones.