Bailiffs coming tomorrow

Hi, please read the National Debtline factsheet on High Court Enforcement. It will tell you exactly what your rights are and what you need to do.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/31%20EW%20High%20Court%20enforcement/Default.aspx

If the link doesn't work just search 'high court' on the website.

I believe they only take non essential items, if it's such a desperate time, you will have to do without luxuries like a television etc. You can always buy them back when times improve.

Contact Stepchange Debt Charity, they are a great help to anyone in debt.

TJC1

As a rule of thumb I tend not to post in the negative to a fellow poster, but this time I will make an exception.

Mossway made some valid points which I mostly agreed with, although he went a little beyond what I would have scribed.

And it is indeed fact that if you owe brass, the creditor will chase you for the money owed, that's a fact of life.

So if posting that makes me "so thick light has to bend round me" than I have to bow to your greater intellect. I did not realise a plant could be that intelligent.

Angel1.

Agree with you.Just no class on here these days.

A friend is in this situation this very week, although it is him that has appointed High Court bailiffs against a company. The bailiffs arrived, ticketed some of the company's stock but then their solicitor has applied for a "stay of execution" of the warrant on the grounds that they have not received any communications from the creditor, apparently this is a known delaying tactic, and appears to have worked as the bailiffs then withdrew and my friend is now seeking advice on next move.

I take it if the op has a car it is on hp or there could have been a log book loan.

So they are coming back tomorrow? Before they do anything of value remove and then let them in. There will probably be not enough worth taking and it will probably be worth them waiting until payday.

I had a relative who had the bailiffs at the door wanting £500 or they will take goods to the value. They was let in and left with nothing. They had nothing worth taking.

This reminds me of the film sympathy for Mr Vengeance. He found a way of raising money.

There is far far more to all this than is being said.

If these people are Court Appointed Bailiffs there has been a long process to get to the turning up at 4.00 tomorrow stage.

Loads of pre-action letters (which the OP is seemingly saying were sent to a previous address and never received)

Then proceedings would have been issued on the registered address and copy of papers served. If the OP did not respond to those court papers with either and admission or denial (which we assume they didn't if they were sent to a previous address)

Then a request for judgement would be made and a copy of such served upon the OP (which are we still assuming they did not receive as it would have been sent to the previous address)

Eventually (and in some cases months after an Order in default) a Warrant for Bailiffs would have been submitted. That too is served (on the presumably incorrect previously address) and an initial visit is made to assess goods and attempt to seek a settlement payment. They have to do this. Somehow during this time the Bailiffs have now found about a new address all of a sudden.

Still no knowledge of what was happening eh OP? Still no opportunity to try to sort out a payment plan??

hmmmm.

Finally, when and only when all other avenues have been exhausted will Bailiffs will come an attend to execute the warrant and seize any recoverable goods. Which according to the OP is what's due to happen tomorrow.

Point is there appears to be gaps in this story. How did the correct address be discovered. How did all that paperwork never get picked up by somebody or returned to the Courts. Eventually the Court papers would have been returned surely, marked not that this address, marked undelivered or something.. A sealed Judgment would have spurred someone into action.

Bottom line, whatever the real story, don't try and be clever here. This is a court order. Contempt of Court will apply and that could lead to fines of imprisonment. This is allegedly a Court warranted Sheriff attending here. It needs to be taken seriously.

Read the advice already provided from proper organisations and do what needs to be done. Burying your head in the sand is not going to solve anything. As for thinking about a loan from ANYWHERE when you are already indebted to the point of Bailiffs is just ludicrous.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/31%20EW%20High%20Court%20enforcement/Default.aspx

Edited by ECCOnoob

If they are high court bailiffs you can't hide behind the settee no matter who the original "fine" was from.. it won't go away..it'll only get worse if not resolved..

you can hide your motor though out of the way. If they dont see it ,they cant steal it.

So, have these bailiffs kicked the door in yet??

So, have these bailiffs kicked the door in yet??
No, but Bonaparte has put his money where his mouth is and the OP is currently enjoying an all expenses paid holiday in the med

im sayin know your rights. or do you just pay any demand that comes through the door or anybody who threatens you?

I know my rights but,importantly,I also know my responsibilities..and paying my debts is one of them..up to now I've had no demands and no threats so my way seems to work...

Edited by truman

No, but Bonaparte has put his money where his mouth is and the OP is currently enjoying an all expenses paid holiday in the med

Steady on, back in the day this would have been far simpler, you'd just ready the cannons, order a full on flanking with bayonet charge. Sadly you can't do stuff like that these days, bloody PC brigade. No doubt killjoy L00b had his meddling hands involved when that decision was made. :rolleyes:

So my advice today is, pay the £550. I've won awards for stating the obvious before but this could be some of my finest work.

How much did this fine start out at when it was first issued ?

Obviously late payment and court fees etc. will have been added now bringing it to the current amount.