FM radio interference in and around Tinsley / Motorway

While driving into work and home again, I generally listen to Radio 2 (no sarcastic comments about that please...It's better than radio 1)....Anyway...Just lately, I drive up and down the M1 and come off at the southbound exit for the Tinsley Viaduct and of course get back on of an evening at the same junction.

It's only started happening recently, but the radio reception is really dreadful much past the Rotherham junction just before Tinsley. It's virtually unlistenable. I've tried tweaking the station a little, one way or the other, and it's definitely tuned in to the right spot. Drive anywhere else and it's fine...No problem at all.

I'm kinda wondering if the roadworks and communication cables are possibly causing a problem, or maybe Telephone masts....I really don't know.

Is anyone else having the same issues?

I've also noticed that the B.B.C fm signal has been rubbish over the last few days, regularly travel to Chesterfield and the high peak, tons of interference, cutting out etc, assumed the R.D.S or aerial had developed a fault. B.B.C expenditure cuts?

I always struggle to hod a good signal in my car with BBS Radio Sheffield. I know there are some black spots but it's bad most places. Could be my aerial although other stations seems fine.

So it seems it's not just me....

I started a thread a while ago wondering what the blue trunking cable was which trails down the centre of the motorway...and was told they were comms cables....I wonder if the interference is anything to do with those, being above the surface?

So it seems it's not just me....

I started a thread a while ago wondering what the blue trunking cable was which trails down the centre of the motorway...and was told they were comms cables....I wonder if the interference is anything to do with those, being above the surface?

I wouldn't have thought so..if "interference" from the cables can get out then interference from outside could get into the cables..not something you'd want ..

Well it does seem to be a definite problem and it's not just me....The problem clears if I go north on the motorway beyond the Rotherham junction (one up from Tinsley)....Get to the Manchester turnoff and it's crystal clear again....It was so bad the other day, I had to turn off the radio...I couldn't hear a thing!...Just noise....

Well it does seem to be a definite problem and it's not just me....The problem clears if I go north on the motorway beyond the Rotherham junction (one up from Tinsley)....Get to the Manchester turnoff and it's crystal clear again....It was so bad the other day, I had to turn off the radio...I couldn't hear a thing!...Just noise....

Has the new biomass power station at Tinsley started operating yet? Although, again. I wouldn't expected any interference from that either...

Has the new biomass power station at Tinsley started operating yet? Although, again. I wouldn't expected any interference from that either...

I don't think it's on line yet....They seem to be doing some sort of cladding towards the base of the stack at the moment, and I've seen it smoking from time to time...But not on a regular basis....

Yes I'd be surprised if that was causing a problem...Something plainly is...

It will be the pirate radio FM stations broadcasting in Tinsley. Just park up nearby and have a scan through the frequencies at the lower end of the FM band to see what I mean.