Shimul Indian Restaurant at Meadowhead

Anybody know what the future holds for this place?

I live over the road from it and noticed last week that the shutters had been down for a couple of days. Went over to have a look and there was a small note on the shutter that read "Closed for refurbishment - Re-opening soon".

However there is also a large sign in the flat window above saying "Shop For Sale"

Has it already been sold? Are they refurbishing with hope of getting a better price for it?

They do quite nice food but the restaurant barely had anyone dining in it, even at weekends, and I've been saying to the wife for the past year that they must be surviving on income from takeaways

I hope it doesn't close, as we get our indian takeaway from there and its always lovely (although consistently late).

This is still closed - does anyone have any more info ?

I've been told by one or two that it was closed down for food hygiene reasons, although I've not seen or heard anything official to confirm that.

Funnily enough there was a misprint in their menu that read "mice cooked in medium spices" instead of mince, so hardly surprising if they were investigated!!

I've been told by one or two that it was closed down for food hygiene reasons, although I've not seen or heard anything official to confirm that.

Funnily enough there was a misprint in their menu that read "mice cooked in medium spices" instead of mince, so hardly surprising if they were investigated!!

They were investigated over that very same thing, but it was ok, it wasn't a misprint it was genuine mice that were being used, so no problem.

When Shimul first opened it was owned by the same owners that ran the Polash take away in Dronfield.

It may have changed hands since then.

Polash was forced to closed because they hadn't been paying the rent - reportedly.

Well that's put me right off Derby :hihi:

In the meantime we've been using Kolkatta which is just opposite KFC a bit further down the road. Just as good so far, and had no late deliveries unlike Shimul which regularly took up to 2 hours!

I ordered from Sultan last week (Chesterfield Road, opposite Subway) and would recommend them. Plenty of choice, but I went for the "Chef's Surprise" - basically you choose what meat you want and how spicy you want it and they rustle you up something original!

Edited by robp_220

Ropb I drove past it with that in mind last night and I think that will be this weekends takeaway of choice!

Gross. Ignorance is certainly bliss sometimes!

In case anybody's still interested....

Ferdinando's (Italian restaurant over the road from Shimul) is in the process of moving in. Not sure on the reason for the move. Much smaller premises but I guess much more noticeable to passing trade as currently it just looks like it's part of Mitchells.