Nottingham or Sheffield?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. :)

I'm coming to visit Sheffield this week and I'm really intrigued by the place. I am looking to settle permanently in an area that has a community spirit, which is surrounded by beautiful countryside with a benevolent atmosphere.

I don't get this living in Nottingham and I'm fed up. Have been here for over a year and I have tried and tried to find some kind of community or sense of belonging but it's not here.

Recently I met some people in Notts who were from Sheffield and I shared a lot more in common with them in terms of sense of humour, interests and hobbies. Wherever I have travelled and met people from Sheffield and South Yorkshire, I have been able to form friendships and a strong connection with them.

I find the people in Nottingham difficult to get along with. They are hard to understand (not everybody who lives here but I am talking about the majority of people that I have met here) and act tough.

That is not to say they are not polite. They have decency and courtesy, but they seem too distant and self-involved for friendships, very much like London. Opening up and making an effort has been met with no reciprocation. They tend to stick to their group of friends and cannot comprehend outsiders coming here to live,

I have been told that Sheffield is more open and people are welcoming.

What are your views on this?

Also what are your views on Nottingham?

Is Sheffield a better place to live, and is it easier to make friends there?

Is human interaction better and the quality of life?

Many thanks for your time and input :)

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to visit Sheffield this week and I'm really intrigued by the place. I am looking to settle permanently in an area that has a community spirit, which is surrounded by beautiful countryside with a benevolent atmosphere.

I don't get this living in Nottingham and I'm fed up. Have been here for over a year and I have tried and tried to find some kind of community or sense of belonging but it's not here.

Recently I met some people in Notts who were from Sheffield and I shared a lot more in common with them in terms of sense of humour, interests and hobbies. Wherever I have travelled and met people from Sheffield and South Yorkshire, I have been able to form friendships and a strong connection with them.

I find the people in Nottingham difficult to get along with. They are hard to understand (not everybody who lives here but I am talking about the majority of people that I have met here) and act tough.

That is not to say they are not polite. They have decency and courtesy, but they seem too distant and self-involved for friendships, very much like London. Opening up and making an effort has been met with no reciprocation. They tend to stick to their group of friends and cannot comprehend outsiders coming here to live,

I have lived in both Cities [born Sheffield] .

Take it from me that Sheffield wins hands down.

As you say people in Nottingham can appear to be very stand offish and rude ,the complete opposite to Sheffielder's .

Isn't Nottingham reputedly the 'unlawful firearms' capital of the UK?

Sheffield's much less violent and is always seen as the largest village.

Yes, the folk hereabouts can seem a bit insular- but the North's way friendlier than the Midlands.

And as for the South of England, well...

I worked in Nottingham for about 5 years and commuted from Sheffield. I too found the people difficult to get to know, as you say they were polite but distant and not really forthcoming with information even if you asked for it. I have been all over the world travelling and working and I have never found anyone so friendly and helpful generally as South Yorkshire folk. I hope if you make the move it turns out as you hope it will

this thread is a complete joke lmao

Sheffielders are the friendliest people in the world and warmly welcome strangers with open arms, regardless of religion, creed, colour or nationality.

Except if you're from somewhere else in the UK, in which case we're cool, unfriendly and distant.

And God help you if you ARE from another religion, creed, colour or nationality because we will REALLY have an irrational dislike of you.

So, in conclusion, Sheffielders are no better or worse than anyone else, despite what any of the locals on here tell you, many of whom, I strongly suspect, have never actually visited Nottingham, let alone left South Yorkshire.

Hi everyone,

Maybe you should concider Manchester?