Vets: Dwarf Rabbit with Dental Problems

S936

My dwarf rabbit has dental problems which causes his right eye to leak a thick grey pus-like substance. We have been to see the Vet which has indicated that his back teeth (top and bottom set) are not growing in line so they are grinding against his gums causing spurs.

The Vet has filed his teeth down which seemed to have solved the issue for 7/8 months before the eyes began to leak again. The next time we went to the Vet for the same treatment, it only took 3 weeks before the eyes began to leak again. We are sceptical to go to the same vet again for the third time, baring in mind the procedures are not cheap! I don't think 3 weeks shows that they did the filing properly tbh!

Has anyone had any rabbits which has had the same dental issues and please share what you did because I have looked online for a lot of information, even as to purchasing an otoscope to take a look into his mouth ourselves!

Hi. Thank you for your reply. I would be grateful if we could come by for you to provide us with some advice and information! Please pm me the address and time for tomorrow or Tuesday. It would be preferable for early afternoon/evening if possible. Thank you!

My dwarf rabbit has dental problems which causes his right eye to leak a thick grey pus-like substance. We have been to see the Vet which has indicated that his back teeth (top and bottom set) are not growing in line so they are grinding against his gums causing spurs.

The Vet has filed his teeth down which seemed to have solved the issue for 7/8 months before the eyes began to leak again. The next time we went to the Vet for the same treatment, it only took 3 weeks before the eyes began to leak again. We are sceptical to go to the same vet again for the third time, baring in mind the procedures are not cheap! I don't think 3 weeks shows that they did the filing properly tbh!

Has anyone had any rabbits which has had the same dental issues and please share what you did because I have looked online for a lot of information, even as to purchasing an otoscope to take a look into his mouth ourselves!

unfortunately its not advised to use this item unless you have had vet training as you can do more damage to a rabbits mouth , so rabbits are born with this type of mis alinement and basically they need to eat hay and pellets etc that will keep the teeth down

Our rabbit had terrible teeth issues. We knew they were kicking off when he stopped eating. It literally was too painful for him to eat. He had the spurs shaved off time & time again

Usually every 3-4 month. The vet explained it was bad breeding had caused the issue. At the grand old age of 7 and half (and after many procedures to shave spurs) The vet suggested he completely removed any problematic teeth under general anesthetic. To which we reluctantly agreed. We picked him up after the op. He looked well and the vet was happy to release him. A couple of hours later he had a convulsion and passed away. I was devastated and soooo guilty.

The op was very much needed but way too late in his life. He just couldn't handle the anesthetic. So my advice would be to have the teeth out but as soon as possible while the rabbit is young xx

Edited by Bethsmummy