Fly Tipping Why?

I went to Hutcliffe Wood Cemetary today. At the gates I was met with a mattress and a giant pile of full black bags. Where is the respect??

Why? Because people are selfish, lazy dicks.

Sometimes people employ other people to clear their houses.

Often it might cost £70.

Someone will offer to do it for £40, the result is that all the stuff gets dumped in a river because they won't take it to a proper refuse site.

There is an argument that dumpit sites should be free for all, then that will mean the council doesn't then have to spend x loads of cash clearing up fly tipping.

Ooh, but that means employing people at dumpit sites...which costs the council tax payer...ooh, decisions, decisions, the agony of choice.

Whilst there's absolutely no excuse for fly tipping, as Taxman has brushed upon, if it was made easier to use the dump sites (for traders in specific), then fly tipping would be reduced to a minimum.

My memory may be failing me here so apologies if I've gotten this wrong but I'm pretty sure that my step dad who runs his own building business has mentioned before that he can only make something ridiculous like 3 pre-booked trips to the dump per year (for free) in his van so instead when he has rubbish to dispose of, he has to make several smaller runs in his car to get rid of rubbish, rather than just 1 trip in the van. Luckily, he's a responsible character so he'll waste his time and petrol to do this but I can imagine there are plenty out there who would find it far easier to just dump their waste elsewhere instead.

Whilst there's absolutely no excuse for fly tipping, as Taxman has brushed upon, if it was made easier to use the dump sites (for traders in specific), then fly tipping would be reduced to a minimum.

My memory may be failing me here so apologies if I've gotten this wrong but I'm pretty sure that my step dad who runs his own building business has mentioned before that he can only make something ridiculous like 3 pre-booked trips to the dump per year (for free) in his van so instead when he has rubbish to dispose of, he has to make several smaller runs in his car to get rid of rubbish, rather than just 1 trip in the van. Luckily, he's a responsible character so he'll waste his time and petrol to do this but I can imagine there are plenty out there who would find it far easier to just dump their waste elsewhere instead.

Or he could pay to dispose of his business waste, rather than me subsidising his business through my council tax bill.

Or he could pay to dispose of his business waste, rather than me subsidising his business through my council tax bill.

But people won't pay to use the dumpit sites, hence fly tipping is on the increase resulting in the council having to clear it, therefore you're still paying to have the rubbish cleared through your council tax.

It's the same for residents too though.

This year I've renovated my living room (new sofa and furniture), bathroom (new shower suite), garden (new furniture) and a few other bits and pieces. All required a van to get rid of stuff, and each time it was an absolute nightmare.

I don't know anyone with a van, so had to hire one. Each time I did, it was on a Saturday or Sunday as I work, so I tried to book it in, as you now have to do, only to find that the lines are closed on a weekend, and I couldn't get the reg number (required) as the van place don't know till you get there. I can't call up midweek to book as I don't have the reg number, and can't give it at the weekend as they're closed.

I called the Council to see if they would pick the sofa up, which they would, and told me I'd have to leave it outside my house (attractive) for up to two weeks, before they would get it.

I can understand why people fly tip - it's a nightmare trying to do it properly!

The stupid thing is you can have a small bit of building waste in a van and they won't let you in, but you can cram as much as you like into an estate car, 4x4 or people carrier and they don't look twice!!

this system of consumption creates so much waste and unnecessary trash. If you are going to buy new stuff, then make it a personal responsability to include in your budget the necessary amount of money to dispose the old stuff. If you cannot afford it, then do not. Perhaps destroying the old stuff and disposing it in small fractions so that the garbage people can take it away can be a solution for low budget folks

Sometimes people employ other people to clear their houses.

Often it might cost £70.

Someone will offer to do it for £40, the result is that all the stuff gets dumped in a river because they won't take it to a proper refuse site.

There is an argument that dumpit sites should be free for all, then that will mean the council doesn't then have to spend x loads of cash clearing up fly tipping.

Ooh, but that means employing people at dumpit sites...which costs the council tax payer...ooh, decisions, decisions, the agony of choice.

Banning large vans from the council dumps is false economy . The council save money from not having to dispose of the rubbish the vans would bring in , BUT they spend vastly more cleaning up the fly tipping ,and they still end up with the rubbish to dispose of, so it costs the council tax payer twice to get rid of the same rubbish. it makes more sense to just let the big vans tip in the dumps in the first place. Sadly common sense is not something you could accuse the council of using.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 23:00 ----------

He will also be a council tax payer like you and me, so should be entitled to use the dumps like everyone else.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 23:03 ----------

The stupid thing is you can have a small bit of building waste in a van and they won't let you in, but you can cram as much as you like into an estate car, 4x4 or people carrier and they don't look twice!!

spot on . its stupidity of the highest order from the council. The entire policy regarding vans and the tips needs ripping up and starting again using common sense.

Banning large vans from the council dumps is false economy . The council save money from not having to dispose of the rubbish the vans would bring in , BUT they spend vastly more cleaning up the fly tipping ,and they still end up with the rubbish to dispose of, so it costs the council tax payer twice to get rid of the same rubbish. it makes more sense to just let the big vans tip in the dumps in the first place. Sadly common sense is not something you could accuse the council of using.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 23:00 ----------

He will also be a council tax payer like you and me, so should be entitled to use the dumps like everyone else.

---------- Post added 13-07-2015 at 23:03 ----------

spot on . its stupidity of the highest order from the council. The entire policy regarding vans and the tips needs ripping up and starting again using common sense.

His council tax pays for him to dispose of his domestic waste, not his business waste.

It's not hard, get a skip like thousands of other businesses. I've had building work done, and the builder has dropped a skip outside my house, and presumably included the cost of that in his quote.

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 10:17 ----------

But people won't pay to use the dumpit sites, hence fly tipping is on the increase resulting in the council having to clear it, therefore you're still paying to have the rubbish cleared through your council tax.

So where does the fault lie then? Council or fly-tipper?

Edited by Bargepole23

You can't lay blame at one party. Fly tippers shouldn't fly tip, that's agreed by all. But the council should really look at its policy at dumpit sites. I come under Rotherham council and when I had my van you could register it with the council (as long as it wasn't sign written) and get a book of 12 vouchers per year for free meaning you could take a van load of rubbish to the tip on average once a month. Maybe this is something SCC should look at.