Is this Dog cruelty? Advise please

My ex brought dog down to mine earlier despite asking her not to but to drop with kids at 19:00. She left dog saying that our 12 year old would look after the dog. As expected as I got builders/ decorators in and can't close doors dog escaped and nearly got in sheep field at bottom of our road where many dogs have been shot previously. Chased dog and got her on lead just as Ex and sister were passing in car which they reluctantly stopped. As you can imagine choice words were said and I said she should take dog up to hers as she had said she was going to in first place. Sister came round and dragged dog by lead which I had passed to my ex round the car swearing and saying I was just being f****** rediculous as she was late and I was a f***** d***k in front of my 12yr old. Poor dogs eyes were bulging and according to kids dog has now been lethargic all afternoon.

Pets at home want to see dog ASAP and will do X-rays etc but ex is saying I can't have dog till 19:00 now.

Am I being melodramatic or am I right to be cross and have dog checked out?

No, I think you did the right thing. If in doubt do something....

Someone came round to check on my dog once because it had a red mark on its back. It was all perfectly innocent, and I didn't resent it, because it meant someone else was looking out for the dog, as all animal lovers should.

Are you worried that dragging it by the lead has harmed it?

I am SO angry, it is really out of charicter for Ex's sister. I would not be bothered about me but keep remembering seeing dog's eyes bulging. If I hadn't been so shocked I'd have lamped her - I am more bothered about dog than anything else, but X-rays etc cost, do you think I should send vets bill to her or let pet insurance sort it through courts?

---------- Post added 11-07-2015 at 16:55 ----------

Yes of course I'm worried that dragging the dog like that has hurt it.

I'm so angry I wish I could drag the sister by throat.

Thought I'd have calmed but still really angry!

Given how dogs sometimes want to go their own way, I think you'd have to drag pretty hard to hurt them... I know my parents dog will practically strangle himself whilst on the lead if he wants to get to the park faster than me.

I would wait until you get the dog home at 7pm and see how it/she/he behaves once settled with you.

As you say, you are "SO angry" just now.

Is this because of the treatment of your dog or is it a mix of the ex bringing the dog to you when she knew you weren't able to have it; the dog escaping; getting into a field where the farmer seems to have a zero tolerance policy on dogs AND the argument with your ex in front of your child? All of which is perfectly understandable.

Perhaps,once the dog is with you, you will feel calmer and hopefully there will be no harm done to the dog. The issues with your ex will still be there but ex's have a habit of creating issues.

My advice: wait till 7 and assess how the dog is then.

Yes, you're right. Will assess dog in an hour

Anger is with Ex's sister hurting the dog, nothing else, was annoyed with ex for not listening when I said I couldn't have dogs and kids until agreed 7pm but nothing new there. I have kids more than 3 1/2 days regular. I am not moaning though, I wish I had them 7days a week. Dog is kids and goes where they go, knew sister didn't want dog at hers (house proud) but didn't realize that she could drag my dog like that. Glad she's gone to Liverpool over night as I am so angry with her right now.

Ex and I are usually amicable, her brother is also treatening to come down and punch me, not really worried about that either just wish kids weeny being involved. Ex has kicked off at 12yr old blaming him for all nastiness and even said it was his fault we broke up - nice people, lucky escape for me 2 1/2 yr ago I think

My ex brought dog down to mine earlier despite asking her not to but to drop with kids at 19:00. She left dog saying that our 12 year old would look after the dog. As expected as I got builders/ decorators in and can't close doors dog escaped and nearly got in sheep field at bottom of our road where many dogs have been shot previously. Chased dog and got her on lead just as Ex and sister were passing in car which they reluctantly stopped. As you can imagine choice words were said and I said she should take dog up to hers as she had said she was going to in first place. Sister came round and dragged dog by lead which I had passed to my ex round the car swearing and saying I was just being f****** rediculous as she was late and I was a f***** d***k in front of my 12yr old. Poor dogs eyes were bulging and according to kids dog has now been lethargic all afternoon.

Pets at home want to see dog ASAP and will do X-rays etc but ex is saying I can't have dog till 19:00 now.

Am I being melodramatic or am I right to be cross and have dog checked out?

I wonder how this nasty get would feel if they were dragged around by the neck. Horrible HORRIBLE person. Report it to the police

I really am glad she's away from me this weekend.

Really shown a VERY different side to her.

I wish I could put a rope round her neck and pull her up the street tied to back of my car but don't think that's really legal unfortunately.

Still I'm glad I'm not being too over dramatic as you guys are making me think that I'm alright being emotionally attached to my pet - a better friend than I could ever ask for.

---------- Post added 11-07-2015 at 19:20 ----------

Still no sign of kids or dog! Think I am being punished! Text her - no reply

Phoned her - not picking up

I really am glad she's away from me this weekend.

Really shown a VERY different side to her.

I wish I could put a rope round her neck and pull her up the street tied to back of my car but don't think that's really legal unfortunately.

Still I'm glad I'm not being too over dramatic as you guys are making me think that I'm alright being emotionally attached to my pet - a better friend than I could ever ask for.

---------- Post added 11-07-2015 at 19:20 ----------

Still no sign of kids or dog! Think I am being punished! Text her - no reply

Phoned her - not picking up

Dont be silly, no you dont.

How is the dog now? Hope he/she is ok?

Thanks all, dog seems a lot less scarred than children. Apparently my ex brother in law was on his way to sort me out with a baseball bat yesterday, ex and sister had to hold onto him to try and stop him after he pushed my youngest 11 out of the way.

I am not really used to this sort of thing where I live, thought I'd done with this when I moved to the sticks 14 years ago from Heeley/Arbourthorne.

Apparently local housing officer aware of this incident and will be in touch , they both in housing association properties on next street. I am now wishing that whole incident had never happened but I am so unhappy that both my dog and both boys have been physically and verbally assaulted.

I should have handled it better than to tell ex that she should do something as she has "custody" of children and dog Wednesday to Saturday night when I have them the other 4 days, I am aware but was very upset that because she had "dumped" the dog on me it had nearly been shot - for god's sake the tennant farmer is renown for it! he even shot the landowner's dog last year!!!