Police powers boosted to seize foreign untaxed vehicles

Let's hope this is an on going exercise I wonder if they go around the car park at Meadowhall checking vehicles approx three weeks ago a car reversing out of the car park nearly hit me it was a soda Octavian with foreign reg inside there were seven adults three in the front four in the back and three children only toddler sized not in kiddie seats the driver had no regard for anyone else in my opinion that was dangerous I took reg no and tried to report it at atterrcliffe police station only to find it isn't there anymore! I didn't do anything else but was shaken up by it and concerned for all those people and any one else with so many in the car surely the drivers field of vision was compromised causing danger to themselves and other road users

A foreign registered vehicle is given six months from entry into the UK before it needs to be registered, taxed and insured as with all UK vehicles.

Should this be allowed?

If I were to buy another car (which is now sold with out tax), I would not get no 6 month grace period. It would need to be taxed, tested and insured before even rolling it down the road. They should be fully legit at the point of entering the country or turned around back home!

Colt, you can drive in Europe without paying tax in the country you are visiting. Requiring tax at the port would stifle tourism and people visiting on business.

The rules do state that as soon as you become resident in the UK the grace period finishes. The grace period is really to encourage visitors.

Should this be allowed?

If I were to buy another car (which is now sold with out tax), I would not get no 6 month grace period. It would need to be taxed, tested and insured before even rolling it down the road. They should be fully legit at the point of entering the country or turned around back home!

They are NOT getting a grace period! They are (mostly) fully legit at the point of entering the country so no need to get them turned around.

Good that police have got these powers but fear it's a little too late. Talking to a officer recently and he was saying things will be getting worse soon as there is further cuts coming soon which affect front line officers on the beat etc. They have already started closing police stations earlier.

So will there be enough officers to enforce this policy?